Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
cannot open file "burnt" to my external SSD.
Nicolas B. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2019 11:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hey there!

I've been facing following issue lately:

I cut a movie with 14 chapters on PD16 (latest release) and in burn CD tab I created my own disc menu. I then selected usb in the 2D disc, AVCHD drop down menu as disc type but PD didn't let me burn. So I chose sd card, but still I couldn't proceed to burn (the window opened but every button was "blocked").
I then chose DVD - 8.5 GB and it worked. I couldn't choose Burn to disc so I chose "save as disc image" and "create a folder" and then hit "start burning". after some hours of rendering I had the files on my computer, sweet I thought but I cannot play it like a dvd. I could find the movie and short clips for every sub menu but I cannot use the functions of the menu. My file explorer shows "Drive (F:) *MOVIE TITLE*" (virtual, as I do not have a dvd drive) and when I double click VLC media player opens and gives me an error message: "VLC cannot open media adress 'dvd:///F:

I am running Windows 10 version 1903 x64 and PD16. exported to sandisk extreme 1TB SSD with ~ 90GB of free storage. my movie is ~1h in duration which at full hd gives me a file of about 8GB.

Thanks in advance for your help!

best regards

Nicolas

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2019 04:19

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Some of the issues you observed could be normal.

The reason that you could not choose the sd card may be that it is in it's normal fat or fat32 file system. Reformatting that sd card to ntfs will solve this problem but you would not then be able to use that same sd card in a camera. Better to use a usb flash drive formatted for this purpose.

You do not need a Blu-ray drive to create or play avchd discs created as an iso or to a folder as you have found.

To open the avchd folder in VLC do this: Open VLC. Media/Open Disc.../Blu-ray/Browse to the location of that created folder/My Video/Play.
Nicolas B. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Some of the issues you observed could be normal.

The reason that you could not choose the sd card may be that it is in it's normal fat or fat32 file system. Reformatting that sd card to ntfs will solve this problem but you would not then be able to use that same sd card in a camera. Better to use a usb flash drive formatted for this purpose.

You do not need a Blu-ray drive to create or play avchd discs created as an iso or to a folder as you have found.

To open the avchd folder in VLC do this: Open VLC. Media/Open Disc.../Blu-ray/Browse to the location of that created folder/My Video/Play.

Dear tomasc

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I tried to open it as described using vlc. However when I browse "My Video" the folder doesn't contain "play", only another folder named BDMV containing:

BACKUP
CLIPINF
PLAYLIST
STREAM

None of these folders contain files I can open. Does this mean powerdirector doesn't create the necessary file to play my menu? Do you have other ideas to solve the issue?

Very much appreciate your help!

Nicolas
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You browse too far. You need to stop at My Video and then click the Play button.

Do not browse past My Video to BACKUP,CLIPINF,PLAYLIST, or STREAM like you did.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The playable clips are located in the STREAM folder, and you can double click on those from Windows File Explorer to play them. You can also use tomasc's suggestion to open the Blu-Ray "disc" in VLC.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Nicolas B. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You browse too far. You need to stop at My Video and then click the Play button.

Do not browse past My Video to BACKUP,CLIPINF,PLAYLIST, or STREAM like you did.

Wow you just made me feel very stupid, however I am glad you did, thanks so much! Didn't know it was possible to "play" a folder 😉

I am really grateful, thank you!