Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhD 365 Folder presentation delay
jaydigital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2018 08:02 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I apologize for continually asking questiions that must be obvious to everyone else. But here is my latest.

I'm working on tracking a project of approximately 500 photos. I am trying to organize them into folders as I select them for editing in a specific category under Folders (C > Envy-Product_images (432)> ENVY-Ventures (431)> ENVY-Military-Life (431)> ENVY-EPdwards-AFB (431) v ENVY-Class-Costumes (25) v ENVY-Coral-Sea (6) v ENVY-Jobs (15) v ENVY-
francis-Visit (63) etc.

The workflow seems to be working out prettty well, but I keep getting hung-up when I start a new category like ENVY-Graduation.

Here is what I try to do:

1. I have the images sorted on the disk-drive by category.

2. I go to "Import" in PhD 365 and select the folder on the disk-drive that contains the images I want to edit.

3. I select all the images in the import window and import them. Everything looks ok.

4. The images appear in the Smart Collection as the Latest Imports and the All Photos.

5. But here's the problem - they do not appear as images in a new folder (ENVY-Graduation) in the Folders panel.

6. So, I start editing the images by using the list from the Smart Collection-Latest Imports. That works fine.

7. Eventually, I notice that the ENVY-Graduation category has displayed and populated - but I cannot tell how it happened.

I would like to establish the category and then populate and edit the images in the catagory as I import the images into it. What am I missing?

Thanks,
jaydigital
[Post New]
Hello John,

Firstly, please don't apologise for reporting issues or asking questions. That is (largely) the purpose of a forum such as this. Whether it's a software issue or something particular to your circumstance, it's helpful for all members (including you and me).

My workflow with PhD typically involves importing folders of images, organised in folders & sub-folders on my PC's hard drives. That sounds just like what you're doing.

I have the images sorted on the disk-drive by category.
I go to "Import" in PhD 365 and select the folder on the disk-drive that contains the images I want to edit.
I select all the images in the import window and import them. Everything looks ok.

So, my folder structure/tree in PhD is a direct reflection of how the photos are organised on the HDD. Is that so in your case?

Yes, in PhD, the group of imported photos is displayed in Smart Collection > Latest Imports and in the appropriate folders & sub-folders under the Folders tab. Of course, once other photos are subsequently imported, those photos no longer appear in "Latest Imports" (because they're not!).

Eventually, I notice that the ENVY-Graduation category has displayed and populated - but I cannot tell how it happened.

Here, the imported folder is poulated immediately as the photos are imported. The only "delays" I find are (a) when importing large numbers of photos rendering takes some time, and (b) when I'm using a less capably PC.

From your description, it doesn't appear that you're importing excessively large numbers of photos that might slow down the works.

If possible, a real-time screen capture showing what's happening with your PhD on your PC would be very helpful in resolving this problem.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello John,

Firstly, please don't apologise for reporting issues or asking questions. That is (largely) the purpose of a forum such as this. Whether it's a software issue or something particular to your circumstance, it's helpful for all members (including you and me).

My workflow with PhD typically involves importing folders of images, organised in folders & sub-folders on my PC's hard drives. That sounds just like what you're doing.

I have the images sorted on the disk-drive by category.
I go to "Import" in PhD 365 and select the folder on the disk-drive that contains the images I want to edit.
I select all the images in the import window and import them. Everything looks ok.

So, my folder structure/tree in PhD is a direct reflection of how the photos are organised on the HDD. Is that so in your case?

Yes, in PhD, the group of imported photos is displayed in Smart Collection > Latest Imports and in the appropriate folders & sub-folders under the Folders tab. Of course, once other photos are subsequently imported, those photos no longer appear in "Latest Imports" (because they're not!).

Eventually, I notice that the ENVY-Graduation category has displayed and populated - but I cannot tell how it happened.

Here, the imported folder is poulated immediately as the photos are imported. The only "delays" I find are (a) when importing large numbers of photos rendering takes some time, and (b) when I'm using a less capably PC.

From your description, it doesn't appear that you're importing excessively large numbers of photos that might slow down the works.

If possible, a real-time screen capture showing what's happening with your PhD on your PC would be very helpful in resolving this problem.

PIX

Hi PIX,

I recorded a video of me trying to upload a Folder from my hard-drive to PhD 365. However, I received an error message as this app was saving the file for transmission:

"413 Request Entity Too Large"
nginx

The file is an mp4 file of 50.6 MB.

Is there a way to compress the file and still have you receive it?

Thanks,
jaydigital
[Post New]
Thank you for doing that.

The simplest thing to do is upload your screen capture .mp4 to either a shared file site, such as Google Drive or OneDrive or YouTube, then post the link here.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for doing that.

The simplest thing to do is upload your screen capture .mp4 to either a shared file site, such as Google Drive or OneDrive or YouTube, then post the link here.

PIX

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi PIX,

Here is the link to the dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plmdt3iwb71uio6/Folder-Upload.mp4?dl=0

Good luck.

Thanks,
John
[Post New]
Hello again John,

My poor old eyes had enormous trouble checking the details in your screen capture because it was produced to 480p. I can see you have quite a complex folder tree, but I don't think that's causing the delays you've reported.

I have the 365 version of PhD11 installed on an older & less capable computer (one I don't use for editing any longer). On that PC, I made a similar screen capture to yours, showing the real time import, rendering & capture.

Perhaps other members may be able to see a possible cause for the delays you're experiencing, but I haven't put my finger on it yet.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
jaydigital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello again John,

My poor old eyes had enormous trouble checking the details in your screen capture because it was produced to 480p. I can see you have quite a complex folder tree, but I don't think that's causing the delays you've reported.

I have the 365 version of PhD11 installed on an older & less capable computer (one I don't use for editing any longer). On that PC, I made a similar screen capture to yours, showing the real time import, rendering & capture.

Perhaps other members may be able to see a possible cause for the delays you're experiencing, but I haven't put my finger on it yet.

PIX

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Pix,

I believe I may have been the problem again. I was not aware that there was a place to provide the name for the folder in a new folder import. I thought it would do this automatically from the folder in the hard drive.

I have only recently noticed this as I was doing more imports. My system shows a series of numbers in the name field. I don't know where that series shows up, but the images must go somewhere.

If I replace the numbers with the folder name I want to use, it does appear in the tree after the import with a short pause.

Thanks, as usual for you assistance.
Hope my experience helps someone.
John