Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 sluggish and crashes
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:27 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
All,

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with this problem.

Here is the deal:

I bought PD16 last year and have used it successfully since then and until last week when it became VERY sluggish and then crashes.

I scanned my laptop with Malwarebytes Free and found several items that were quaranteened. Re-opened PD16 and had the same problem.

I downloaded and ran Bitdefender Free. It did not find anything so I uninstalled and deleted PD16, contacted customer support from Cyberlink. They sent me a link to download and reinstall PD16 which I did.

Now, I have the same problem. The only thing different between the last several weeks when I was working with PD16 and the problem showing up is
1) the Malwarebyte Free program removed several files and I found that Chrome extensions had been affected so I deleted Chrome entirely and loaded up Firefox.
2) I upped the virtual memory to 4500 from 1280

Attached is the DxDiag file.

Charles
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
227 time(s)
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the crash error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: PDR.exe
Application Version: 16.0.2816.0
Application Timestamp: 5ad0944e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_f43d
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_74_FROM_nvd3d9wrapx+0x0000000000003A81
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f43d
Additional Information 2: f43d6ee4f86e5975b4a75f63b33869e2
Additional Information 3: 7ffb
Additional Information 4: 7ffb66b69c99dfc24dcac4c21e2b5158
Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Quote All,

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with this problem.

Here is the deal:

I bought PD16 last year and have used it successfully since then and until last week when it became VERY sluggish and then crashes.

I scanned my laptop with Malwarebytes Free and found several items that were quaranteened. Re-opened PD16 and had the same problem.

I downloaded and ran Bitdefender Free. It did not find anything so I uninstalled and deleted PD16, contacted customer support from Cyberlink. They sent me a link to download and reinstall PD16 which I did.

Now, I have the same problem. The only thing different between the last several weeks when I was working with PD16 and the problem showing up is
1) the Malwarebyte Free program removed several files and I found that Chrome extensions had been affected so I deleted Chrome entirely and loaded up Firefox.
2) I upped the virtual memory to 4500 from 1280

Attached is the DxDiag file.

Charles
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for attaching the DxDiag results, as there are some clear issues with your system. I wouldn't suspect malware or viruses - although it was a good idea to check since you got rid of some unwanted things.

There are many PD16 crashes shown at the end of the DxDiag file, and there are several different modules causing them, from core parts of PD16 to 3rd party plugins from NewBlueFX.

To be frank, I think there may be some problems with your Win8.1 installation, and I would highly recommend doing a system level check of the OS before worrying about anything else.

Open an admin-level command prompt and type in sfc/ scannow, then press Enter. Let the scan run and see if it detects and fixes any core issues with Windows. You may need to run it more than once if it comes back with unfixable errors.

You can also type dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth in the same command prompt window to do a more thorough check/repair cycle. Google for more info on these steps if needed.

Next, visit the Lenovo support page for your laptop. Click on the Start Scan button to check for outdated drivers and updates. For example, your video driver is more than 4 years old, but Lenovo may make it difficult to install the newest version from Intel (released in May 2019). Post back if you want help in trying that later.

Once you've run the scans (and possibly had been given some updates to install), download the latest update to PD16 from this page. Once you've got v3424 installed, try launching it and see where things are at.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2019 13:47

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata,

Thank you for your guidance.

I ran sfc /scannow 3 times, restarting after each scan. After the last scan, the comman prompt returned "no integrity violations"
I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth one time then restarted. The command prompt returned "No compnent store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully."
I went to Lenovo and it said I did not have Lenovo Service enabled, so I enabled it and it told me there were no updates for my laptop
I uninstalled MS New Blue
I installed 3424 upgrade to PD16
Then I opened PD16 and it gave me the new page look for about 5 seconds, then crashed.

I re-ran the DxDiag and it is attached to this reply and labeled as DxDiag2. The latest crash produced this message:

Problem signature:
Application Version: 16.0.3424.0
Application Timestamp: 5bc9b043
Fault Module Name: nvinitx.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 25.21.14.2531
Fault Module Timestamp: 5cac7ebd
Exception Offset: 000000000000611b
Additional Information 1: d57c
Additional Information 2: d57c2cf9f7f7582733f8cf995fd683f5
Additional Information 3: 7b49
Additional Information 4: 7b49c274b27f904840c2f0bf374dc62d

I did have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. After this error message I went into nvidia console and rolled back the drivers.
I can now open a movie again without crashing, although there are a couple of missing images which PD says have been
deleted or moved (although I did neither)

I am not going to say it---but it might be working again. I will open back up tomorrow and see what happens.

Charles

Quote Thanks very much for attaching the DxDiag results, as there are some clear issues with your system. I wouldn't suspect malware or viruses - although it was a good idea to check since you got rid of some unwanted things.

There are many PD16 crashes shown at the end of the DxDiag file, and there are several different modules causing them, from core parts of PD16 to 3rd party plugins from NewBlueFX.

To be frank, I think there may be some problems with your Win8.1 installation, and I would highly recommend doing a system level check of the OS before worrying about anything else.

Open an admin-level command prompt and type in sfc/ scannow, then press Enter. Let the scan run and see if it detects and fixes any core issues with Windows. You may need to run it more than once if it comes back with unfixable errors.

You can also type dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth in the same command prompt window to do a more thorough check/repair cycle. Google for more info on these steps if needed.

Next, visit the Lenovo support page for your laptop. Click on the Start Scan button to check for outdated drivers and updates. For example, your video driver is more than 4 years old, but Lenovo may make it difficult to install the newest version from Intel (released in May 2019). Post back if you want help in trying that later.

Once you've run the scans (and possibly had been given some updates to install), download the latest update to PD16 from this page. Once you've got v3424 installed, try launching it and see where things are at.
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
257 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 15. 2019 21:44

CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata,

Thank you for your guidance.

I ran sfc /scannow 3 times, restarting after each scan. After the last scan, the comman prompt returned "no integrity violations"
I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth one time then restarted. The command prompt returned "No compnent store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully."
I went to Lenovo and it said I did not have Lenovo Service enabled, so I enabled it and it told me there were no updates for my laptop
I uninstalled MS New Blue
I installed 3424 upgrade to PD16
Then I opened PD16 and it gave me the new page look for about 5 seconds, then crashed.

I re-ran the DxDiag and it is attached to this reply and labeled as DxDiag2. The latest crash produced this message:

Problem signature:
Application Version: 16.0.3424.0
Application Timestamp: 5bc9b043
Fault Module Name: nvinitx.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 25.21.14.2531
Fault Module Timestamp: 5cac7ebd
Exception Offset: 000000000000611b
Additional Information 1: d57c
Additional Information 2: d57c2cf9f7f7582733f8cf995fd683f5
Additional Information 3: 7b49
Additional Information 4: 7b49c274b27f904840c2f0bf374dc62d

I did have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. After this error message I went into nvidia console and rolled back the drivers.
I can now open a movie again without crashing, although there are a couple of missing images which PD says have been
deleted or moved (although I did neither)

I am not going to say it---but it might be working again. I will open back up tomorrow and see what happens.

Charles

I worked for about two hours last night in PD16 after an all day exploration of problem solving. I thought I was good until
it crashed again.

Turned off the laptop and went to bed. This morning it is still crashing. It works when I boot in safe mode.

I am getting the feeling that the crashes may be related to the graphics card and/or drivers, but I am not sure.

Can anyone point me in a direction? I am willing to try to work through it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2019 11:42

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Like I said earlier, your video driver is 4 years old, and PD is known to have serious issues with incompatible video drivers.

The easiest step is to go to Intel's auto-detect driver update page and see if you can get the latest driver installed. You may have to manually download and install it, which you can do from the left side of this page.

Some PC manufacturers, like Dell and possibly Lenovo, make it difficult to install newer "generic" drivers, even though they stop releasing "official" ones soon after they stop making that particular computer model. You can Google for ways to force the update if you have trouble with these two easiest approaches.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Like I said earlier, your video driver is 4 years old, and PD is known to have serious issues with incompatible video drivers.

The easiest step is to go to Intel's auto-detect driver update page and see if you can get the latest driver installed. You may have to manually download and install it, which you can do from the left side of this page.

Some PC manufacturers, like Dell and possibly Lenovo, make it difficult to install newer "generic" drivers, even though they stop releasing "official" ones soon after they stop making that particular computer model. You can Google for ways to force the update if you have trouble with these two easiest approaches.

Optodata,

Thank you for your guidance. It was a long journey into the sfc and dism processes, then into a 10 hour chkdsk/r process before I could even get to the driver update which eventually happened (even though the Intel site said my drivers were up to date).

But even after all that, PD16 would instantly crash after loading. The last error dialog box which opened showed Wdmaud.drv as the fault event. I had to go to msconfig and drill down through the services tab to find that the Wdmaud.drv service was not runniing even though it was set to "automatic". This is the driver that enables the sound card to function.

Once I got that figured out, PD16 loaded and ran without bugs. My computer is so clean now. Somewere along this journey I even threw away Google Chrome and will probably not re-install it.

Thanks again.

Charles

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2019 15:03

optodata
[Post New]
Once I got that figured out, PD16 loaded and ran without bugs. My computer is so clean now. Somewere along this journey I even threw away Google Chrome and will probably not re-install it.

Wow, what a journey this was!

I'm very glad to hear that all that effort has gotten your laptop into tip-top shape, and that you're now able to successfully run PD16. Congrats on seeing this through to the end!

Happy Editing cool

YouTube/optodata