Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector suddenly can't play avi files anymore
tonton2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2018 14:26 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I'm really having troubles to open already finished projects.
I can see the avi thumbnails but suddenly playback does not work anymore - an error message comes instead and powerdirector often crahses.

The technical support could not help me, re-installition did not help either - in the meantime I'm getting no replies anymore ;(

This is totally annoying as I have deadlines for the film!

Does anyone have a solution?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2019 08:34

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There shouldn't be any reason for PD16 to suddenly stop working with specific files.

Download MediaInfo to get the clip's specifics, or upload a short sample clip to OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc and paste a link to it here so we can test it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2019 12:56

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tonton2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply!

I already provided a file for the technical support - as requested - but they simply don't reply anyore.
I've been in contact for 1 month now - with no solution :/
Annoying.

Would be very grateful for help!

Here is the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pupcvnacp86pil4/testvideo.AVI?dl=0
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The testvideo.AVI cannot be played by the Dropbox video player. That is a bad sign. The clip is MJPG codec, 1080p25 read perfectly in PD15 and PD17 timelines. It should be fine in PD16.

As far as I know you need to read your support messages. Sign in to read your support ticket. They won’t respond if they are waiting for a response from you or if they closed out the ticket. If that is what happened, then start a new ticket. They should tell you to reinstall PD16 in my opinion to fix this problem.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Whoops, this post was only for people with PD18. My mistake in posting it to the PD16 forum!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 12:44

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm really having troubles to open already finished projects.
I can see the avi thumbnails but suddenly playback does not work anymore - an error message comes instead and powerdirector often crahses.

The technical support could not help me, re-installition did not help either - in the meantime I'm getting no replies anymore ;(

This is totally annoying as I have deadlines for the film!

Does anyone have a solution?

Hi,
Your clip imports into PDR 16.0.3424.0 and plays in the media library.
It also can be placed in the timeline and plays normally.

So on my system everything is as it should be. Perhaps something has changed on your system to affect .avi files of this type?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 13:48

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if you rebooted the pc after the uninstal and before the reinstal. See this post. One op solved his pc problem with avi files by installing the K-LIte Codec pack: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80438.page . This also may help.

You can post a DxDiag.txt from your pc if this does not help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2019 13:22

jimdias1992 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2019 03:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know if you rebooted the pc after the uninstal and before the reinstal. See this post. One op solved his pc problem with avi files by installing the K-LIte Codec pack: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80438.page . This also may help.

Well thats me And im talking About the New 365 PD 18 .version k-lite codec and lav decoder worked or convertion of the avi files to MPEG or M2TS .i think it's odd so many people have avi problems.
tonton2 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Well thats me And im talking About the New 365 PD 18 .version k-lite codec and lav decoder worked or convertion of the avi files to MPEG or M2TS .i think it's odd so many people have avi problems.

OMG thank you so much!!! laughing
I'm wondering why I asked the tech support first - none of the offered solutions worked in the last 4 weeks!
.. and this seems to be no new problem ...!
but your codec worked finally!

btw I only downoaded the k-lite codec and it' working.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2019 08:34

jimdias1992 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2019 03:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

OMG thank you so much!!! laughing
I'm wondering why I asked the tech support first - none of the offered solutions worked in the last 4 weeks!
.. and this seems to be no new problem ...!
but your codec worked finally!

btw I only downoaded the k-lite codec and it' working.

your welcome .took me all day yesterday to figure it out.support hasn't answered me yet,I only downloaded the k-lite too the full version ,turn's out is a common problem on editing programs,cause all avi files aren't the same.i wonder if that happened cause i use a compact nikon coolpix camera filles and not a new dslr
new2PD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2019 21:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't know if you rebooted the pc after the uninstal and before the reinstal. See this post. One op solved his pc problem with avi files by installing the K-LIte Codec pack: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80438.page . This also may help.

I have the same problem, but I am using Power Director 13. I have made several successful projects using importded photos and videos from my camera. However, since I upgraded to Windows 10, I have been having trouble playing my imported videos on my Power Director project. As a result I cannot use any of my own videos with my photos using Power Director. Is Power Director 13 not compatible with Windows 10?? I have updated my Power Director and had followed Cybelink's email suggestions. However, the problem remains unresolved. Any suggestions or do I need to purchase the newest version of Power Director??
Please HELP!!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]

I have the same problem, but I am using Power Director 13. I have made several successful projects using importded photos and videos from my camera. However, since I upgraded to Windows 10, I have been having trouble playing my imported videos on my Power Director project. As a result I cannot use any of my own videos with my photos using Power Director. Is Power Director 13 not compatible with Windows 10?? I have updated my Power Director and had followed Cybelink's email suggestions. However, the problem remains unresolved. Any suggestions or do I need to purchase the newest version of Power Director??
Please HELP!!
PD13 is compatible with Windows 10.
The installation of the K-lite codec pack often fixes these issues. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
new2PD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2019 21:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
PD13 is compatible with Windows 10.
The installation of the K-lite codec pack often fixes these issues.

Thank you Barry for your reply. I will try your suggestion and let you know.