Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
File formats
Thrustman1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2019 18:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Since Photodirector doesnt have my favorite file format , which is the best looking, least compressed between PNG and TIFF. Im talking strictly asthetics and opinions here. I dont want to get into a discussion about transperency and file size and who invented what. I got that already with a google search. The camera Im using doesent support RAW so lets not go there lets just focus on the choices I do have and that is TIFF and PNG. Which will give me better looking edits using Photodirector.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2019 00:36

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I use the recommended png format in PowerDirector.
[Post New]
Hello Thrustman1,

Given that your camera doesn't allow RAW shooting, images will be stored in .JPG format. It's important to understand that the JPGs are already compressed in-camera (the degree of compression varies from camera to camera, but typically greater for "point & shoot" cameras).

Exporting your original JPGs as .PNG or .TIFF will not improve image quality, but it will ensure maximum quality is maintained (i.e. no further compression). As you're aware, it affects file size significantly.

Like tomasc, I would usually export as .PNG or 100% quality .JPG. I would only use .TIFF if my intention was to further edit in other software, which is rare.

PIX PIX YouTube channel