Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 Volume Meters
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Concerning the new volume level meters. I assume the bars are arranged L,R,C,LFE,Ls Rs for 5.1.

1) Why do the bars not function if only audio exits in the Music track?
2) Why do the bars not function if only audio exits in the Mic track?

It would appear to be a significant shortcoming to me, surely CL couldn’t release a new feature and not realize this during its development so must be some logical reason, it just escapes me.

I often have 5.1 and stereo video in the timeline and periodically use the audio setting of stereo and/or 5.1 in pref depending on produce intent. If one has 5.1 set in pref, why does a stereo audio predominately map to "C" speaker periodically. That’s not typical in my experience, one can easily observe with the supplied Skateboard.mp4 file, screen shot attached. Maybe this is related to the significant softening mentioned periodically with 5.1 in PD.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_meter.png]
 Filename
PD18_meter.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
641 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure the bars are a crude frequency spectrum of all available audio channels, rather than having each bar assigned to a single 5.1 channel, although I only use stereo.

As for the odd functionality of audio on the Mic and Music tracks, I can at least explain what the problem is.

If I only have audio clips on either of those tracks, the volume bars activate as soon as I start previewing, but they are frozen and do not update at all. If I stop the preview, the bars are cleared, and when I resume, the bars start again, but are still not updated at all.

However, as long as there is a clip on any track above the audio-only tracks, even an audio-only clip, the meter bars will work as expected. This is true even if the clip on the main track is muted. Here's a quick video showing that relationship.

This is clearly a bug, although I don't think it will actually impact anyone unless there are any sections where there is no content on any of the main tracks.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm pretty sure the bars are a crude frequency spectrum of all available audio channels, rather than having each bar assigned to a single 5.1 channel, although I only use stereo.

Crude, well yes they are a bar meter, but that's pretty common. They are of course specific to what's on that specific channel, hence my question for stereo. One can easly see if you mix say silence on all tracks but say Ls for an effect, meter is as expected, pic attached.

Quote However, as long as there is a clip on any track above the audio-only tracks,

Not really, it needs to be a video clip. I've helped many people with picture projects they create and that group often places their music in the music track. Yes, usually a much older generation but does it matter? That's what GUI's are for, make things easy. Not move it here or add a dummy video a track and mute it.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_Volmeter.png]
 Filename
PD18_Volmeter.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
668 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
However, as long as there is a clip on any track above the audio-only tracks,

Not really, it needs to be a video clip.

It would sure be great if you could drop the passive/aggressive bit once in a while, especially when people are trying to help you out. We're all on the same team here, and I completely agree that this is an issue that should be fixed.

With regard to my earlier statement, you can clearly see that a muted audio clip placed on Track 1 gets the meter working, which is why I put that part in my reply:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
It's a fair question, Jeff, but I have no explanation for it.

The bars on the volume meter are definitely assigned to each separate channel, easily seen using the 5.1 channel placement .wav that was going to be attached, till I remembered how fussy the forum is about attachments.

To me, it looks like an oversight. Even though there's no functionality difference between audio only tracks and the regular audio component tracks, a user would expect the meters to function in both.

... and it's difficult to see the usefulness of a frozen meter! undecided

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2019 15:09

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would sure be great if you could drop the passive/aggressive bit once in a while, especially when people are trying to help you out. We're all on the same team here, and I completely agree that this is an issue that should be fixed.

With regard to my earlier statement, you can clearly see that a muted audio clip placed on Track 1 gets the meter working, which is why I put that part in my reply:

optodata, nothing passive/aggressive intended. No bolded response, like I received, nothing. In my original post in both line items I specifically used the word (only) "if only audio exits in the Music track" as I already knew it works with a video track, works with muted video, didn't work with picture, works with timeline scrub, gets stuck... but all that rather irrelevant to my base two questions.

Even though you constantly post otherwise, there are CL employees that peruse the forums, if they see it and want to take action for their product, power to them, they have the info. We also have several moderators that can take action too if they desire.

Tony, thanks, your phrase "but I have no explanation for it" pretty much sums it up.

Jeff
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

We also have several moderators that can take action too if they desire.

Thanks Jeff. The issue has been reported to CyberLink.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2019 23:17

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff. The issue has been reported to CyberLink.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

PDM, although no mention of it in the release notes, it does appear that this shortcoming highlighted in the OP was corrected in release 2405.

Thanks for bringing to CL attention.

Jeff
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

PDM, although no mention of it in the release notes, it does appear that this shortcoming highlighted in the OP was corrected in release 2405.

Thanks for bringing to CL attention.

Jeff

No problem.

Thanks
PDM

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do