Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Choppy Stuttering playback after rendering Power Director 18
BrettM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2019 22:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have a brand new computer i9 32 g Ram 6tb HD and a 512 ssd but after rendering videos they are choppy on pans etc. Filmed in 4K 23.98 FPS and rendering 4K MP4 4K 30MPS, NTSC what am I doing wrong?
GordonCato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2017 23:37 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a brand new computer i9 32 g Ram 6tb HD and a 512 ssd but after rendering videos they are choppy on pans etc. Filmed in 4K 23.98 FPS and rendering 4K MP4 4K 30MPS, NTSC what am I doing wrong?

You can get stuttering from the difference in frame rates. The original source video is shot in a lower frame rate. When you produce it in 30 fps you are missing 6 frames each second. Try producing the video in 23.98 fps and see how it turns out.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
A good rule of thumb for panning is that 7 seconds minimum for an object on the right side of the screen to appear on the left side of the screen to minimize the choppiness seen. The slower the pan the better.

GordonCato offer good avice too on the frame rate.
BrettM [Avatar]
[Post New]

You can get stuttering from the difference in frame rates. The original source video is shot in a lower frame rate. When you produce it in 30 fps you are missing 6 frames each second. Try producing the video in 23.98 fps and see how it turns out.

I can see where when I go to produce video it give me that option, sorry if i am being dumb!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You're not. There isn't a standard 4K 24fps profile, but you can use the built-in Profile Analyzer, and it should create a custom profile to match your source clip's resolution, bitrate and frame rate:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BrettM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You're not. There isn't a standard 4K 24fps profile, but you can use the built-in Profile Analyzer, and it should create a custom profile to match your source clip's resolution, bitrate and frame rate:

Ok I did that but had to make a cuctom profile, the end result seems a little better but stil not I would say was smooth. Perhaps my filming is just a little too harsh. If that solution should fix it then I will go back to the drawing board and try softer pans and turns.
I am still supprised I had to make a custom profile, i would have thought that was apretty standard format. Thanks for your help
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
For NTSC, "standard" framerates are 30 and 60, with 24fps being "film-like" and not so typical across all available resolutions.

If you're comfortable sharing the clip, you could upload it to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, etc and paste the link here. It would also help to see your produced clip, either in the same folder or uploaded to YouTube (which can be unlisted so nobody without the link can see it.

That way, we can see what you're trying to do, and then test it out some other options for editing and possibly producing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2019 02:03

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

GordonCato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2017 23:37 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]

I can see where when I go to produce video it give me that option, sorry if i am being dumb!

Not dumb at all. With all the possible combination of resolutions and frame rates, I have made that mistake more than once.
BrettM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote For NTSC, "standard" framerates are 30 and 60, with 24fps being "film-like" and not so typical across all available resolutions.

If you're comfortable sharing the clip, you could upload it to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, etc and paste the link here. It would also help to see your produced clip, either in the same folder or uploaded to YouTube (which can be unlisted so nobody without the link can see it.

That way, we can see what you're trying to do, and then test it out some other options for editing and possibly producing.

Thanks so much for that I will try to upload to youtube as i have a chanel.

Was wondering if those other frame rates are more standard why dont I just set my drone to 30 or 60 fps.. ?
I am shooting 60 on my go prom maily to be able to do slow motion sections.. is my thinking right??
optodata
[Post New]
There are several ways to get slow mo, and you can do that at any frame rate.

Generally speaking, higher frame rates capture better motion in any contect, and they also give you finer motion per frame if you want to add slo mo. Unless you are trying to get the 24fps "film look" (which I have never used in 10 years of videography), you should definitely ditch that and go with 60p on your drone.

YouTube/optodata

BrettM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are several ways to get slow mo, and you can do that at any frame rate.

Generally speaking, higher frame rates capture better motion in any contect, and they also give you finer motion per frame if you want to add slo mo. Unless you are trying to get the 24fps "film look" (which I have never used in 10 years of videography), you should definitely ditch that and go with 60p on your drone.

You have been very helpful, another question, I can not got to 60fps on the drone but can do 30,. when I am editing is that going to be an issue if i am filming in 60 on my go pro, or should i return to 30 on the go pro?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote You have been very helpful, another question, I can not got to 60fps on the drone but can do 30,. when I am editing is that going to be an issue if i am filming in 60 on my go pro, or should i return to 30 on the go pro?

No issues. I'd use a timeline frame rate of 60fps so all of your GoPro frames will be accessible. PD will simply double each 30p drone frame so it will stay in sync.

YouTube/optodata

BrettM [Avatar]
[Post New]

No issues. I'd use a timeline frame rate of 60fps so all of your GoPro frames will be accessible. PD will simply double each 30p drone frame so it will stay in sync.

Thanks so much - greetings from the Gold Cast Asutralia - i live in Cali for awhile too
[Post New]
Hi Brett,
Whilst all comments regarding frame rates etc are valid...
I've just noted some awfull choppy rendering of pans on video clips that were perfectly smooth on the raw files from the camera...
And I'm 'Producing' at the exactly the same frame rate as the original recording.
Worse still - I've just rendered the exact same clips using PD-15 instead of PD-18 - and guess what ?
The PD-15 versions are rendered perfectly smoothly...
Something is going on here !
Gerry