Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multicam editor
Splodg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2009 18:32 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have been using the multicam editor in PD for some time now. I recently had to make a instuction video of something being put together, which meant pretty precise timings for switching angles. This can become tedious in PD as the new multcam video track can only be layed down after the record button is activated. I know I can go back over things and make changes BUT!!!

Anyway I used a computer a couple of days ago that had Vegas 17 installed. Much to my delight I found that I only needed to scub the time line up to cut points by hand and the said new track was laid down just fine in no time at all. All I needed to do was preview my takes and jot down the switch times, then scrub by hand to those times.

My question is, is there a way of scrubbing by hand without the play head moving by itself, which can be done in Vegas?
If not! perhaps the designers can introduce it in the next version of PD or even an update.
Thanks.
Roger
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
While the MCD is intended to be used "live" as you've described: swapping between the various cameras as the scrubber moves along; that's typically just the first step.

Make sure your start by clicking on Produce as: Single Video, and start recording the MCD camera. When you're ready to save what's essentially your rough draft, click on OK then save the main project.

Next, click on the MC x clip on the timeline and choose Designer | MultiCam Designer to re-open it in the MCD.

This time, simply drag the connecting edge of each section to the left or right as needed wherever you want to adjust the timing. Take as long as you like, and change as often as needed, just be sure to click on OK and save the project often so you won't lose any work. You can also change the specific camera used for any section, and/or use the Record button again to overwrite any sections you'd like to do over completely.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes - that's what Undo is for! The more you practice the easier it will get to get things very accurate the first time through, and then to go back and tweak any timings whenever you want by re-entering the MCD. It should also be much faster/easier than trying to manually time the transitions and then go back and match them...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Splodg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote While the MCD is intended to be used "live" as you've described: swapping between the various cameras as the scrubber moves along; that's typically just the first step.

Make sure your start by clicking on Produce as: Single Video, and start recording the MCD camera. When you're ready to save what's essentially your rough draft, click on OK then save the main project.

Next, click on the MC x clip on the timeline and choose Designer | MultiCam Designer to re-open it in the MCD.

This time, simply drag the connecting edge of each section to the left or right as needed wherever you want to adjust the timing. Take as long as you like, and change as often as needed, just be sure to click on OK and save the project often so you won't lose any work. You can also change the specific camera used for any section, and/or use the Record button again to overwrite any sections you'd like to do over completely.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes - that's what Undo is for! The more you practice the easier it will get to get things very accurate the first time through, and then to go back and tweak any timings whenever you want by re-entering the MCD. It should also be much faster/easier than trying to manually time the transitions and then go back and match them...

Thank you for the info.

I have just tried your suggestion and it works fine, so I gonna try it on my next project!

I do have another question you may be able help me with!

I recorded a volunteer organisation assembling a steel frame for nurturing new trees (shade house).

I used 4 cameras, 3 static and 1 that I moved around with.

The director was really only interested in the close up of my hand held camera, so he ran through the camera 1 footage writing down the in and out points of the clips he wanted, I removed the unwanted footage from the clip in the timeline.

My question is! As the remaining clips were still in the one timeline I had no way of identifying each clip, and as the director wanted titles to each clip, he wrote down the titles he wanted calling each clip scene 1, scene 2 etc. I put markers on the timeline for each scene, but when I inserted a clip from another camera it pushed the clips out of line of my markers. After a short while I just had to count from left to right through 42 scenes to be able to put the right titles onto.

Do you know anyway I can identify the scenes without exporting and renaming them?

Thanks again. Roger

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 12. 2019 05:14

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for the info.
I have just tried your suggestion and it works fine, so I gonna try it on my next project!

I do have another question you may be able help me with! I recorded a volunteer organisation assembling a steel frame for nurturing new trees (shade house). I used 4 cameras, 3 static and 1 that I moved around with.

The director was really only interested in the close up of my hand held camera, so he ran through the camera 1 footage writing down the in and out points of the clips he wanted, I removed the unwanted footage from the clip in the timeline.

My question is! As the remaining clips were still in the one timeline I had no way of identifying each clip, and as the director wanted titles to each clip, he wrote down the titles he wanted calling each clip scene 1, scene 2 etc. I put markers on the timeline for each scene, but when I inserted a clip from another camera it pushed the clips out of line of my markers. After a short while I just had to count from left to right through 42 scenes to be able to put the right titles onto. Do you know anyway I can identify the scenes without exporting and renaming them? Thanks again. Roger

The forum seems to have messed up the formatting of your last post, although I was able to clean it up in the above quote.

Generally speaking, it's better to start a new topic rather than to add on an unrelated question, but the short answer here is to choose a new alias for each clip by right-clicking on each one and then use the following steps:

That way, there's no confusion even if new clips are added or if the existing clips get moved around.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2019 22:00

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Splodg [Avatar]
[Post New]

The forum seems to have messed up the formatting of your last post, although I was able to clean it up in the above quote.

Generally speaking, it's better to start a new topic rather than to add on an unrelated question, but the short answer here is to choose a new alias for each clip by right-clicking on each one and then use the following steps:

That way, there's no confusion even if new clips are added or if the existing clips get moved around.

Cheers mate. Clear as crystal, thanks.