Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Folders in the Clip Library - Possible?
[Post New]
Whenever I work on large editing projects, the Library gets very full and very disorganized. I often lose track of many clips because I can't easily tell them apart from the others.

Can I create folders in the Clip Library? I'm so confused why this isn't already a feature, and I can't find any evidence that it's planned. Has nobody else complained about this? I find that hard to believe. I'm about to start a massive video editing project with dozens and dozens of clips, and folders in the Library will make editing 100 times easier and prevent many headaches.

Is this a feature, or is this a planned feature? If not, is there an alternative? Just a bunch of clips in the Library can and will get confusing.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whenever I work on large editing projects, the Library gets very full and very disorganized. I often lose track of many clips because I can't easily tell them apart from the others.

Can I create folders in the Clip Library? I'm so confused why this isn't already a feature, and I can't find any evidence that it's planned. Has nobody else complained about this? I find that hard to believe. I'm about to start a massive video editing project with dozens and dozens of clips, and folders in the Library will make editing 100 times easier and prevent many headaches.

Is this a feature, or is this a planned feature? If not, is there an alternative? Just a bunch of clips in the Library can and will get confusing.

I am not sure on the folders in the library question. It was possible in earlier versions.

If I might make a suggestion. For large projects, you are further ahead to break the project into smaller logical peices, then combine them when ready.

As an example:
I often work with full hockey game videos. The source files can be up to 3 hours of clips and photos. I break each project into 5 parts:
1) Intro and pre-game
2) First period
3) Second period
4) Third period
5) Ending.

Only the media to be used in the segment is loaded into the library.

After I finish each segment I will produce to the desired format, then start the next segment. For the final movie, I bring the completed segments into one project and do the final touches.

I find this much easier on the head as you are not having to keep track of 1 - 3 hours worth of clips on the time line. Also, if you see something you want to change, you can go back to the project for that segment and make your adjustments. You do not have to go through the full long project as you would if you try to do it all in one.

Using the above format for creating large projects is easier on the head, easier on the computer, and I find it is actually quicker to get to the final product.

Hal
[Post New]
My explanation of the folder wasn't well-worded. Here's a quick example of what I mean:

https://imgur.com/a/J7v9OHZ

That's what I mean by folders.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My explanation of the folder wasn't well-worded. Here's a quick example of what I mean:

https://imgur.com/a/J7v9OHZ

That's what I mean by folders.

I understood exactly what you meant. My suggestion was a simple way to manage the library (and time lines) for large movies. Somewhat similar to how most movies are produced. Feature movies are not edited with all media at one time. They are generally edited by teams of editors working on different segments of the movie and then combined to create the final movie.

I have seen many cases of working with large projects all in one and a very small mistake can destroy many hours of work. If using smaller segments you can only lose what is in that segment. I have also seen small changes (corrections) made to large project, cause errors or shifts somewhere before or after the section you are currently editing. Trying to find the source of the error or shift in a 2 - 3 hour production all on the time line at the same time can be very time consuming.

This is why I break all my projects into smaller logical segments. Saves time and saves headaches.

Just my opinion of course. We all have to work in our own manner.

Hal
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
All you need to do is create a new Tag for each category (the icon inside the green box), then right-click on each clip and set the tag(s) as desired. Clip on the desired Tag icon to show only those clips.

Note that a clip can have more than one Tag, and it will show up in every category that matches the display filter, as shown below:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2019 15:25

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
My question wasn't so much "How do I make folders?", it was more like "Why did no one think to add folders a long time ago?". It seems like such a simple feature, not hard to implement at all. I'll never use 90% of the features in PowerDirector 17, but the one feature I would use constantly doesn't exist. Can this be passed along to the developers?

I shouldn't have to complain about this, someone should have thought of this a long time ago. Judging from the responses so far, not even the more expensive versions have folders.

As for the tags, that's really useful. I didn't even see that menu until just now, I must've collapsed the menu to free up UI space. This will be helpful, but folders would also be helpful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2019 20:30

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can this be passed along to the developers?

The best way to do that is by using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions... from PD's File menu.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My question wasn't so much "How do I make folders?", it was more like "Why did no one think to add folders a long time ago?". It seems like such a simple feature, not hard to implement at all. I'll never use 90% of the features in PowerDirector 17, but the one feature I would use constantly doesn't exist. Can this be passed along to the developers?

I shouldn't have to complain about this, someone should have thought of this a long time ago. Judging from the responses so far, not even the more expensive versions have folders.

As for the tags, that's really useful. I didn't even see that menu until just now, I must've collapsed the menu to free up UI space. This will be helpful, but folders would also be helpful.

Hi,
I think that it all depends on workflow and, perhaps practice and precedent (so to speak), many apps that use a "library", also use tags as an more complex organisational method, rather than a visually simpler "folder" structure.
There are benefits and drawbacks to either approach and PDR has adopted a library/tag structure and supplemented that with an "import project" function to allow editing on smaller projects, with all the advantages that brings, but then to import them into a final compilation.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
MMakar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2019 23:37 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Whenever I work on large editing projects, the Library gets very full and very disorganized. I often lose track of many clips because I can't easily tell them apart from the others.

I totally agree with you. It is absurd that that it is not possible to create folders to organize clips. Even tagging sub-clips in not supported when using the "precut" feature. What is the point of dividing clips into sub-clips if you can't tag any of them or organize them in folders. One would think that such a basic feature would exist, but it doesn't. Really unprofessional.