Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 15 "hardware video encoder" no longer available
TTM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2019 12:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello. I'm running PD15 and I've run into the issue where hardware encoding is no longer available several times, but it was always easily remedied. This time I can't figure it out.

Windows 10 updated yesterday and ever since then, the option to enable hardware video encoder is greyed out. I verified that the video drivers were not altered during the Windows 10 update. Video drivers of a certain date make this feature unavailable, but I'm still running drivers that always worked (Nvidia 25.21.14.1722 from 11/29/201.

Hardware is FX-8350 AMD CPU, and Nvidia GTX1070. No hardware has changed. Just the Windows 10 update knocked out my ability to use hardware acceleration.

Verified in registry that no values changed in registry under Cyberlink\CES_FUnctionLogger\Data. All of those values are still 0, none changed to 1 like they do when a production fails.

Verified that Hardware Acceleration boxes are ticked in Preferences.

I scoured the internet and saw some people mention you need to re-enable hardware acceleration in a registry folder called "simba" but my registry has no "simba" area.

Any ideas? The output speed is far too slow to keep up with the demands of my work without this feature enabled. I'll definitely have to jump ship to other software if there's no way to fix this.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
417.22 Nvidia driver is too new for PD15, latest you can use is more than likely 411.70.

Jeff
TTM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2019 12:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply!

I now get "This NVIDIA Graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows" when trying to install 411.70 drivers. I never had this issue before this latest Windows 10 update that I can recall. I was able to switch around to whatever drivers I wanted. So the Nvidia installer is not allowing me to install 411.70. That seems to be the oldest driver Nvidia is hosting for download as far as I can see?

By chance I had 388.71 from way back still sitting in a folder. This one allowed me to install it, and Powerdirector is now letting me output with hardware acceleration again. Confirmed working, as I just output a 5 minute video to HD in 28 seconds. Problem solved for now! Thank you for the help.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The newest Win10 drivers often have to be uninstalled from the Apps & features (Uninstall) tool before an older driver can be installed, but it looks like you were able to get around that with the much older driver.

Now that you have 388.71 installed, you should be able to install 411.70.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Download the standalone driver install and try the clean install option. It's often best to do a custom install and just install the driver too, nothing else.

Jeff