Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 10/17 Woes
Ellymoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2019 03:32 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Dear all

I am hoping you can help me as I'm at my wits' end.

A few years ago I purchased software & hardware to allow me to copy my home videos to DVD. This software included PowerDirector 10. It was slow, but it worked.

My computer was upgraded to Windows 10 a week or so ago and PD10 really struggles on it so I'm trying a trial of PD18. Unfortunately I can't see any way to record from an external device (i.e. my VHS player) using PD18. Whenever I try to record from an external device, like I did in PD10, it asks me to insert a disc. So I'm currently recording on PD10 and then importing this media into PD18.

I am now having all sorts of issues burning these discs. I have tried writing the film into a folder, and then burning it to a disc using Windows Explorer, but this just burns it as a series of photos, so i'm obviously doing something wrong. I get errors eEB020B88 and eEB130783 which I understand are related to the disc not having enough room for the file. I burned the same file on PD10 no problem, so is it that PD18 is better quality thus makes the file bigger? At the moment I have resorted to making the file an Mpg2 following posts I've read on these forums but that still doesn't work. Even cutting the number of chapters makes no difference. The programme either crashes or fails to burn altogether. I've cut the recording in half so about 30 minutes on each DVD - according to Cyberlink when I select MPG2 120 minutes should fit onto a DVD. In fact the whole thing fitted onto a DVD when I did it on PD10 but anyway...

I'M NOT GETTING MUCH HELP FROM CYBERLINK ONLINE AND NOW MY KEYBOARD HAS LOCKED ONTO CAPS SO I AM NOT SHOUTING, HONESTLY! ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED. I CAN'T BUY PD18 IF THESE ISSUES AREN'T RESOLVED AS THERE IS NO POINT. THANK YOU! smile
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Your keyboard has locked into caps? That's not only unrelated to PowerDirector, but it's pretty likely an indicator you've also got other issues on your computer or maybe even a bad operating system install.

That said, digital video editors, like PowerDirector, don't capture from analog sources. You need to digitize video from analog sources like VHS, using a third-party program and device.

There are a number of devices available on Amazon that will do the job. Most cost under $50. One of the most popular is the Diamond VC500.
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-digital-converter-Software/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=video+digitizer+for+pc+diamond&qid=1566216343&s=gateway&sr=8-4

But you need to capture your analog video into a digital format (like MP4) before you'll be able to edit it in a digital editor like PowerDirector.
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. The caps lock has disappeared and it's a different PC anyway.

PowerDirector10 did allow me to capture from a video player using some sort of hardware exactly the same as the item to which you linked. I put a cable into my VHS and then put the other end in my PC and captured the footage shown on the computer screen. Does PowerDirector18 no longer allow this? Because otherwise I will have to capture all my footage in PD10 and then move across to PD18. It's not a big deal, but it seems rather foolish.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2019 08:11

[Post New]
I have one of these and to be honest, it's so much more convinient than recording directly on my PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HQFFHKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cyberlink do a program called screen recorder which I believe will record from an external device so that could be worth looking into?
Ellymoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. That may solve one issue, but that's not the really pressing one - that's the disc burning thing. What am I doing wrong? frown