where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 16 preview stuck while editing 4K
Reply to this topic
JensX [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jul 31, 2019 14:17 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

unfortunately it is not possible to edit 4K footage without the preview getting stuck.
It seems that the GPU is not used at all (utilization ~1-2%), whilst the CPU reaches up to 100%.

I did several things to solve this:

• tweak NVIDIA System control

• activate/disable hardware acceleration

• choose PD16 with high performance in Windows graphic settings

My System Specs:

NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 (version 26.21.14.3086)
AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (version 10.0.17134.765)
120 GB SSD disk
1TB Datadisk
16 GB RAM
Powerdirector 16 (Version 16.0.3424.0)

Maybe my system is to weak for this task, but I am a bit surprised that the GPU is not used.
Does somebody have a clue what I could change in order to fix this?

Thanks in advance and regards,
Jens
PowerDirector Tutorials
Member Private Message Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Download handbrake which is free and convert to h.264 then try to edit
https://handbrake.fr/
JensX [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

thank you. I will give that a try.

BR,
Jens
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 3608 Online
[Post New]
Quote Hello,
unfortunately it is not possible to edit 4K footage without the preview getting stuck.
It seems that the GPU is not used at all (utilization ~1-2%), whilst the CPU reaches up to 100%.

The GPU typically isn't used very much when editing, unless there are GPU-specific edits.

You can turn on shadow files and let PD create lower resolution versions of your clips, but to see the full benefit you'll need to wait until the little yellow icons on your Media Library clips turn green.

The benefit of using shadow files is that PD will use the low resolution files for editing but will produce using the full resolutions clips. The downside is that it may take a long time to generate the shadow files, and there's no easy way to force PD to prioritize the process.

Another option is to use VirtualDub2 and an intermediate codec like MagicYUV to create decoded, full resolution clips that PD can easily work with in real time. Creating MagicYUV files is much quicker than waiting for PD to create shadow files, but the downside is that their file sizes may be 10x - 20x larger than the original clips. As long as you have room on your SSD, though, that would be the quickest option.

I've attached the project settings file for VDub2. All you need to do is load that project, then open the clip you want to convert and use Save Video... to create the MagicYUV .AVI file.
 Filename
MagicYUV.vdproject
[Disk]
 Description
VDub2 MYUV settings
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
JensX [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed answer.
It do work with enabling the shadow files as you said, but it is very slow.

I will also try with MagicYUV.

Thanks and regards,
Jens
Reply to this topic