Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
power DVD 16
user01789 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:46 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Very easy, polite and straight forward; Powewrdvd 16 has not had an update in nearly 2 years, yet more recent versions have.
Any reliable reasons beyond cash grabbing?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Very easy, polite and straight forward; Powewrdvd 16 has not had an update in nearly 2 years, yet more recent versions have.
Any reliable reasons beyond cash grabbing?

Generally speaking, Cyberlink releases a new version of each product every year, and they only actively support each version (releasing patches and updates) for 2 years. As they're currently at PowerDVD 19 and v16 was released 3 years ago, I can't imagine it will get any additional updates.

This is a fairly standard business model, although they've added a subscription plan for PowerDirector and other editing software. Each approach has its own pros and cons for the consumer, but with yearly releases they're going to keep letting older versions fade away as new ones are introduced.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
user01789 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:46 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
High 5 to you Optodata, some good if safe text there. Do you use any thing such as a random Fox title to check that every thing is up to date? Mainly because my experience is that Fox seem to update their content protection first and or most often.
whatevergong82 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2014 11:08 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote High 5 to you Optodata, some good if safe text there. Do you use any thing such as a random Fox title to check that every thing is up to date? Mainly because my experience is that Fox seem to update their content protection first and or most often.

Now that Fox has been absorbed by the House of Mouse (Disney), I hope that you won't have to deal with those issues anymore.