Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlay confusion
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 26, 2018 06:29 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure what I did but have now got myself confused

I have a main video and audio track which was in timeline 1 track and wanted to add a small snippet video into it.

In experimenting what to do I ended up with the main track on timeline 2 instead, so I added the snippet video initially into timeline 1.

Playing back it didnt show, undeterred I thought ok I will just insert it and overwrite it into a portion of the main video

So I dragged it down and got an option to Overlay come up in a box so I selected that and it worked fine, and I had a good result of the 2 videos combined, starting with the timeline 1, and in due course fading to the timeline 2 video, with a bit of the time showing both together which looked good

Thinking this was a good result, I tried the same with a second video snippet BUT this time I never got the option to overlay, I had the overwrite, insert and move all clips and something else.

Just wondering how I got different results doing the same initial course of actions
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like the first clip was dragged from the media library onto an existing timeline clip, while the second clip was already on the timeline and you tried dragging it onto the existing clip.

The context menu is slightly different in each case. Replace is another example of an option that shows up when dragging a clip from the media library onto a timeline clip, but that isn't available when trying to drag and drop a clip that's already been placed on the timeline.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It sounds like the first clip was dragged from the media library onto an existing timeline clip, while the second clip was already on the timeline and you tried dragging it onto the existing clip.

The context menu is slightly different in each case. Replace is another example of an option that shows up when dragging a clip from the media library onto a timeline clip, but that isn't available when trying to drag and drop a clip that's already been placed on the timeline.

Hi thanks for the reply

Im not sure if it could have been on the main timeline or not, its possible I dragged it from the media library to there in error - will try and replicate again in the morning

regards
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've done some additional digging, and maybe this post will help.

If you drag a clip onto an existing clip and the start of the new clip is to the right of the start of the existing clip, you'll get one of the two menus seen below:

However, if the clip you're dragging has its starting point to the left of the existing clip, you'll see a different menu, and it's actually the same regardless of where the new clip is being dragged from:

None of the options show "Overlay." However, your desription actually sounds like you used "Crossfade" which will fade one clip into the next.

If that's the case, all you should need to do is make sure that the left-most edge of the dragged clip is to the left of the existing clip's starting edge, and the "Crossfade" option will be present.

If instead you actually want to overlay a small video snippet, it always has to be on a lower track, since PD places all content on lower (but higher numbered) tracks in front of/on top of all other content.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for this, reading it through I identified one mistake I was making straight away -

I was thinking it was an overlay BUT infact it was a crossfade.

However the same problem was still there initially - then I discovered it was the location where I wanted to put the crossfade that was causing the problem of the option to crossfade not showing.

When I positioned clip 2, so that its location was to the end of the main clip - the crossfade option showed up.

It turns out what was clouding my problem and leading to the confusion was the main Timeline track consisted of 2 videos combined together by the Multicam option.

Trying to insert a cross fade within the combined merged timeline would not work, only at the end camera clip.

I got around this by dragging one of the multicam views away from the previous one on the Timeline (where I wanted to insert the crossfade) dropping the second clip in as a crossfade, then moving the clip I had dragged away back. The important thing here being that the clip being inserted needed to be shorter than the main video track being crossfaded, as the fade would not continue into the second camera clip when it was dragged back to its original position

Thank you again for your input