Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Concurrent User Sessions Not Supported - rebooting doesn't solve it
[Post New]
So I'm having yet another strange, seemingly unsolvable problem.

At random times (like right now), PowerDirector 17 will refuse to open giving the error "Concurrent User Sessions are Not Supported" even though it's completely closed.

When this message happens, no CyberLink-related processes or services are running. Task Manager shows nothing CyberLink-related either. Services.msc shows the same thing.

Here's the kicker - I shut my computer down, let it sit for an hour, turned it back on, and Task Manager, Services,msc, and other tools showed no sign of any CyberLink-realted services or backround tasks running. It still gives the error.

I've set an exception for PowerDirector 17 in both the Windows Firewall and my anti-virus of choice, as well as Windows' built-in antivirus. Running a full virus/rootkit/malware scan shows no infections. There are no bad sectors on any of my hard drives. Latest Windows updates, all drivers up-to-date.

It happens randomly, but I'm working on a really important project and this is stopping me.

Computer Specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Alienware Aurora R5
Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @4.00 GHz (8 CPU's)
16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I've restarted the computer two more times and there's still no running processes and it's still giving the error.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are only 2 (and rarely 3) running programs that would normally give you the concurrent sessions message, and none of them would affect then next session after a simple reboot. No need to power off or wait for any length of time.

I would suggest uninstalling PD17 (keep the personal settings) and reinstall it.

You didn't mention if you have the stand-alone/lifetime license or the subscription (365) version, but if you have the former, please make sure you update PD17 to the latest version. The Cyberlink App Manager will automatically install the latest version if you're a subscriber.

If you still experience the issue, please follw the steps listed in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag test results so we can get a better understanding of how your PC is configured.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
goody_fyre11, next time it occurs add the column "Image path names" to the Details tab of Task Manager. Sort by path and do a screen shot capture of the section covering the path name area of:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink
and
C:\Program Files\CyberLink

I'd think something will probably stick out as the culprit.

Jeff
[Post New]
Okay, so a few seconds after I hit "submit" on this post, it started working again.

This isn't solved though. This isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. I've actually re-installed PowerDirector 17 since the first time this is happened (to try and solve a different problem), so reinstalling doesn't help obviously.

Is this being investigated by its developers? With so many similar reports spanning across many years and different PowerDirector version, I'd think it's worth more than a simple hotfix, if one was even made.

I only rebooted to rule out background programs running, I knew it wasn't absolutely necessary. Yes, I have the standalone version, it's the only reason I don't have Adobe Premier. I'll try and see if there's any updates.

Keep this thread open - given that the error doesn't occur regularly, it'll be a while before I can report if it worked or not, or if it came back in another patch.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Okay, so a few seconds after I hit "submit" on this post, it started working again.

Do you use shadow files? That's been known to create this delay as the CL PDHanumanSvr.exe needs to shutdown gracefully and for some that was taking a while. Some users report nearly 30 seconds while others nearly instantaneously.

Jeff
[Post New]
No, my computer is fast enough to not need them, so disabled Shadow Files.