Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
re editing old mp1 files (ex vhs-c camera) for larger screen hd tv
RobertA101 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Gosford. NSW Central Coast Joined: Jan 01, 2013 20:16 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
The display of these old home movies is crappy on modern hd tv screens.
I am proposing to use the video enhancement and stabiliser tools to tart them up a bit. These were not available when I originally did these projects.
Also I am pretty sure I will need to shrink the size somewhat closer to the old analogue tv screen size.
The pip designer seems to be the tool to do that.
Is there a way to do that for the whole project rather than having to do each clip?
I'm sure I am not the only one wanting to renew these old projects.
Any advice apreciated. RobertA101
Win10
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
mobo Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
RAM 16
Geoforce GTX 550 Ti
PowerDirector17 Ultra 17.0.3005.0

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You're not going to have too much success upscaling your video no matter what you do, Robert.

VHS video was only about 330x480 pixels resolution. That's less than half of standard TV's 720x480 resolution and about one-eighth the resolution of today's HDTV.

You don't say what kind of device you used to digitize this old video, but that could be a factor too.

So you can place your video on your timeline in PowerDirector and size it to fit the frame -- then right-click on it and select Copy Keyframe Attributes, select the other clips on your timeline, right-click and select Paste Keyframe Attributes. That will apply your resizing to the entire timeline.

But just don't set your hopes too high. You're still dealing with a very low-quality, low-resolution media.
RobertA101 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Gosford. NSW Central Coast Joined: Jan 01, 2013 20:16 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You're not going to have too much success upscaling your video no matter what you do, Robert.

VHS video was only about 330x480 pixels resolution. That's less than half of standard TV's 720x480 resolution and about one-eighth the resolution of today's HDTV.

You don't say what kind of device you used to digitize this old video, but that could be a factor too.

So you can place your video on your timeline in PowerDirector and size it to fit the frame -- then right-click on it and select Copy Keyframe Attributes, select the other clips on your timeline, right-click and select Paste Keyframe Attributes. That will apply your resizing to the entire timeline.

But just don't set your hopes too high. You're still dealing with a very low-quality, low-resolution media.

That was a quick reply - Thanks Steven
I digitised that by using the passthrough feature on my next camera which was a DVTape.
In it's day we thought the quality was ok amateur standard on our analogue tv.
Hoping that by reducing the screen size it might be watchable again, certainly painfull on a large screen
Thanks again RobertA101
Win10
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
mobo Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
RAM 16
Geoforce GTX 550 Ti
PowerDirector17 Ultra 17.0.3005.0