Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
OpenCL Technology
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Does enabling 'OpenCL technology' in settings really make any difference in terms of previewing/rendering? Although I have a GTX1060 card, my Laptop is configured to use the i7GPU, and I don't see a difference with OpenCL enabled. My rendering is fast so I'm just curious. laughing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2019 20:08

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Go to the fx room. Some of those effects will have an icon that means it works with an amd or nvidia gpu to accelerate the rendering if you have it enabled in Preferences/Hardware acceleration. I don't use enough of the fx on a timeline to see a huge difference.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Go to the fx room. Some of those effects will have an icon that means it works with an amd or nvidia gpu to accelerate the rendering if you have it enabled in Preferences/Hardware acceleration. I don't use enough of the fx on a timeline to see a huge difference.

Oh. I don’t use the fx room, so I’ll leave it disabled. Thanks for the quick response.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Does enabling 'OpenCL technology' in settings really make any difference in terms of previewing/rendering? Although I have a GTX1060 card, my Laptop is configured to use the i7GPU, and I don't see a difference with OpenCL enabled. My rendering is fast so I'm just curious. laughing

It will benefit for HA effects, icon in the left corner of effect.

Discussion and sample to highlight what it does was here https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20/43784.page#post_box_226790 and results posted from PD13 below again.

For this sample 3x3 wall with video effect applied and 1920x1080/60i 24Mbps H.264 M2TS encoding:
GTX970 HA encode time: 11:34
GTX970 HA encode time: 3:37 GTX970 with OpenCL for video effects activated
CPU encode time: 11:44
CPU encode time: 3:40 GTX970 OpenCL for video effects activated
Everyone’s experience will be different, it’s highly dependent on relative capability of the CPU and GPU. Enabling OpenCL on a very weak GPU could be detrimental to encode times.

Keep in mind, at times one has to make pref change, close and reopen PD again for it to actually "apply" functionality correctly.

Jeff