Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Catastrophic Error after updating PowerDVD 17
Merino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2019 18:35 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Hopefully I can find a solution to this issue. Yesterday I downloaded and installed updates to PowerDVD 17. I also downloaded and installed the BD Advisor, as well as changed the wallpaper in the program (probably doesn't matter, but mentioning it nonetheless).

Ever since doing that, when I try to watch a DVD/Blu-Ray, I get a 'Catastrophic Error' message. I've used PowerDVD for several years and have never had any issues until this happened. Any ideas for troubleshooting this issue? Could it be something with my computer needing an update itself? I'm attaching my DxDiag for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Livio
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1124 time(s)
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I found your Intel GPU driver is a relatively old version, which released 1 year ago.
As Windows 10 keeps releasing updates to screw up many other programs, I suggest you update your driver to a recent or latest version from either Intel or HP.

Unfortunately, it is highly possible that HP might be lazy to include new Intel driver for its PC users. To solve this, you should contact HP for new driver support.

After driver task is clear, check the playback again.
If it still failed, contact cyberlink support.
Merino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I found your Intel GPU driver is a relatively old version, which released 1 year ago.
As Windows 10 keeps releasing updates to screw up many other programs, I suggest you update your driver to a recent or latest version from either Intel or HP.

Unfortunately, it is highly possible that HP might be lazy to include new Intel driver for its PC users. To solve this, you should contact HP for new driver support.

After driver task is clear, check the playback again.
If it still failed, contact cyberlink support.

Ok, I went and ran all the windows updates, as well as running updates from Intel directly. Would you mind taking a look at this updated DxDiag and tell me if that driver is updated? I'm not too savvy when it comes to this stuff. The error still occurs.. but I'd like to know if I need to contact HP, or if I should contact CyberLink directly. Thank you!
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1143 time(s)
Merino [Avatar]
[Post New]
A quick update:

I decided to try and play a standard DVD instead of a Blu-Ray. It loaded, and began to play just fine. Then I got an error saying that parts of PowerDVD were 'corrupted' and to uninstall/reinstall. So I did just that.. reinstalled what I initally downloaded back in 17, so this is sans any updates. So far it works perfectly fine. I would like to upgrade, but I'm hesitant that I'll run into the same issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
BigThirstyDog56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2019 22:20 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Hopefully I can find a solution to this issue. Yesterday I downloaded and installed updates to PowerDVD 17. I also downloaded and installed the BD Advisor, as well as changed the wallpaper in the program (probably doesn't matter, but mentioning it nonetheless).

Ever since doing that, when I try to watch a DVD/Blu-Ray, I get a 'Catastrophic Error' message. I've used PowerDVD for several years and have never had any issues until this happened. Any ideas for troubleshooting this issue? Could it be something with my computer needing an update itself? I'm attaching my DxDiag for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Livio
I've been having the same problem also, I think I have it fixed now. I have several CyberLink products installed, Do you see the CyberLink Folders in My Documents? Don't Move Them, Don't Hide the Folders from view, and Don't customize the folder. Everytime I do a Backup of the System with Acronis True Image, I move the contents of My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Video to another Drive temporarilly, then I Backup the system, Backups are smaller and if I have to reinstall a Backup, it takes less time. Then there is another method I use, any files or folders that I don't use, I will go to properties and hide them from view. Either method will result in "CyberLink PowerDVD XX does not support the playback of this media format". Uninstalling and reinstalling PowerDVD will not solve the problem in most cases. If you have a Blu-ray player and get a pop up saying something about AACS License Key Update and then a Catastrophic Failure error, more than likely the CyberLink Folders in My Documents have been tampered with or corrupted. From my own experience, this applies to PowerDVD12 and on up to PowerDVD19. Hope this helps!

Oh, buy the way since we are on the subject of PowerDVD errors. Having any problems with No Sound? Have you updated your Audio Drivers for your Motherboard? I use IOBit's Driver Booster, one of the best products i've ever used, I love it, but ever now and then I get a bad Driver, well, that's not Driver Boosters fault, you see, I have one of those computers that was custom built and I have to only use the Audio Drivers from the Motherboard Mfg. site, which in my case was GIGABYTE. Play it Safe, Don't update the Drivers unless you have to. Be sure to Backup your Drivers also, Driver Booster does that for you and ever lets you reinstall them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2019 09:31

petran79 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2021 16:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I get the same error with PowerDVD 19 after trying to load a BD disc. Have a capable laptop and latest Windows 10 updates and drivers.

It used to play BD discs fine.

Problem persists for months.
petran79 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2021 16:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Do not know if it helps.

Did a clean uninstall of PowerDVD deleting any remaining registry entries.

Restarted system and loaded a BD. Message appeared that a component is missing and it needs to update. Clicked yes.
Disc loads but a message appears that because of the player region settings, discs can not be played.

Used AnyDVD, catastrophic error appeared. Unloaded AnyDVD, changed player region settings from within PowerDVD, same message appears.

Only solution is to rip the BD to hard disk