Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Flip transitions
[Post New]
I have PD14 and am seriously thinking about upgrading to PD17 albeit via 365.
In PD14 the FlipII transition flips and spins around and is a very good tool to use IMHO.
But there is one drawback - it is thick like a brick paver and therefore looks quite clumsy and bulky.
I have seen other software in the past do it much better with an extremely thin Flip transition like what was used at the beginning of the Superman movie where the 3 criminals were sent into outer space on this very thin 'flipping' rectangle.
Does anyone know if this very thin rectangular Flip transition is now available in PD17 please? Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The FlipII transition in PD17 appears to be the same as PD14 with no way to modify its thickness. I did not see any other standard similar flip transitions that one could modify the brick effect.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD17_FlipII.png]
 Filename
PD17_FlipII.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote The FlipII transition in PD17 appears to be the same as PD14 with no way to modify its thickness. I did not see any other standard similar flip transitions that one could modify the brick effect.

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff.

Here is the Superman clip showing the thin rectangle flipping through space.
Go to the last 30 seconds or so to see the effect.
Hollywood could do this in 1978.
Superman movie 1973

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2019 19:46

Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I see New Blue FX that may be helpful, picture-in-picture (NBE2) and picture-in-shape (NBE6). It will take some learning but it may get you closer to your goal. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Phil -

I haven't checked out the suggestions Barry made about NBFX, but I do have a couple of thoughts...

The simplest thing would be to use a 3D-Like title template, where you just type one character to make a letter, then use an image as the texture. That's the drawback - it only works for image - not video.

For the attached packed project example, I typed Alt+220 (with Num Lock on) to make the rectangle. In each case I set the extrusion value to 1, so it's not chunky like the FlipII transition.

If it had to be a video, rather than an image, it could be keyframed using free-form to get that spinning-off-into-the-distance effect... but it'd take a bit of work!

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
3D-Like Flip.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2590 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
271 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote G'day Phil -

I haven't checked out the suggestions Barry made about NBFX, but I do have a couple of thoughts...

The simplest thing would be to use a 3D-Like title template, where you just type one character to make a letter, then use an image as the texture. That's the drawback - it only works for image - not video.

For the attached packed project example, I typed Alt+220 (with Num Lock on) to make the rectangle. In each case I set the extrusion value to 1, so it's not chunky like the FlipII transition.

If it had to be a video, rather than an image, it could be keyframed using free-form to get that spinning-off-into-the-distance effect... but it'd take a bit of work!

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony, but after downloading it it would not play saying it was made on a newer version than I have.

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Whoops! Neglected to read you opening statement (& signature).

Try the one attached, made in PDR14.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
3D-Like Flip.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5178 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
586 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Whoops! Neglected to read you opening statement (& signature).

Try the one attached, made in PDR14.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony, yes that works for me!

The thing about the movement of the FlipII transition is that it transforms the full-screen video onto the smaller rectange as it flips across the screen against a black background and then takes up the whole screen again.
You can use it as a transition between two clips or just as a quite spectacular addition to a clip. ie the video just continues on the spinning/flipping rectangle and then fills the screen with that same clip.

Either way the effect of the movement is seen as a continuation of the video from left to right as it were.

Thanks again,

Phil. Phil

PD14 Ultra