Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
power director audio is out of sync after adding time to image overwrite duration
[Post New]
I have another post about this same sync problem except with adding to title card duration.

If I overwrite the timeline video with an image, there are no problems with subsequent audio (after the image) until I go back and add time to the duration of the image clip.

Then the audio is out of sync.

Please advise how to add time to the duration without throwing audio out of sync. I will add images at the default ten seconds in the mean time.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It may be just the preview. More than likely the produced video will be in sync. You can always do a range produce on the short segment to be sure. You can also do a range for a Render preview to be sure,
[Post New]
Quote It may be just the preview. More than likely the produced video will be in sync. You can always do a range produce on the short segment to be sure. You can also do a range for a Render preview to be sure,

Thanks. Earlier I will check.

By range produce you mean drag the slider over to highlit a portion of the clip in yellow, right click and produce it

and by range preview you mean

drag the slider over a portion of the video to highlite it in yellow , right click to produce but on the produce screen, just play it on the monitor there, correct?

EDIT: This makes me sick, I've beenn working on this a couple hundred hours. I just procesed that bad portion, and yes, the audio is messed up after changing the duration, but what is worse, I noticed the all the audio is off. Not near as bad the part after the image after messing with the duration, but it is off.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2019 18:13

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Range preview is the button next to the Produce range. They are not the same!!
[Post New]
I have version 17. when I right click it only has the option to cut copy remove, loop playback, produce range and lock range

I dont see a range preview anywhere
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen both your topics, and must admit that I likely have missed some of the story, but to chime in:

• As soon as you have set a range with the yellow markers, you can indeed mouse click to open a menu with some options, however as soon as you set a range in the dark bar just above the timeline a series of options applicable to RANGE appear, including Render preview (this is to pre-render part of the timeline that may display slowly or with a stutter because there are many changes and features), and the other option is Procedure Range (this is make an output file ONLY of the range you defined. The latter I guess is what you may want to use during long edits to see whether the output looks OK.

• When you insert (using the insert and move) an image in a timeline, all the video and images in that timeline will move, including the sound connected to the videos in that timeline. If your audio is out of sync, it looks like that audio is in another timeline? One option to keep the audio in sync is the select the timeline and the audio and group it and move the group away to make way for the insertion, after that connect the group back to the inserted media?

• It strikes me that you talk about the standard 10 secs of the inserted images, you can change this 10 secs in the preferences / edit tab.

Hope that this helps
[Post New]
Quote I have seen both your topics, and must admit that I likely have missed some of the story, but to chime in:

• As soon as you have set a range with the yellow markers, you can indeed mouse click to open a menu with some options, however as soon as you set a range in the dark bar just above the timeline a series of options applicable to RANGE appear, including Render preview (this is to pre-render part of the timeline that may display slowly or with a stutter because there are many changes and features), and the other option is Procedure Range (this is make an output file ONLY of the range you defined. The latter I guess is what you may want to use during long edits to see whether the output looks OK.

• When you insert (using the insert and move) an image in a timeline, all the video and images in that timeline will move, including the sound connected to the videos in that timeline. If your audio is out of sync, it looks like that audio is in another timeline? One option to keep the audio in sync is the select the timeline and the audio and group it and move the group away to make way for the insertion, after that connect the group back to the inserted media?

• It strikes me that you talk about the standard 10 secs of the inserted images, you can change this 10 secs in the preferences / edit tab.

Hope that this helps

thank you that helped about the range preview /range produce, but I am overwriting the images, if I wrote that I was inserting them before, it was a terminology error I'm sorry.

But I am trying to show an image over the video so moving both video and audio together wont work.

This is really disheartening. I am making the whole theing over, trying to salvage parts I can, and one clip, I just decided to put one image after another over to mask the fact the audio and video were out of sync

On a new clip I had to reshoot, I just overwrote an image, and when it went back to audio it was fine, but when I added to the image duration, it was off again. So I just undid the overwrite, reoverwrote a couple seconds down the timeline at the original duration (5 secs).

Is there a way to set the image duration prior to overwriting?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If I overwrite the timeline video with an image, there are no problems with subsequent audio (after the image) until I go back and add time to the duration of the image clip.

Then the audio is out of sync.

Please advise how to add time to the duration without throwing audio out of sync. I will add images at the default ten seconds in the mean time.

It appears what you are doing is this:
1) adding a video to the timeline
2) adding a picture to part of the video stream and using overwrite.
2a) Item 2 action will uncouple the video and audio, one now needs to be very careful during editing to keep this longer slice of audio to always be aligned with the video from which it was uncoupled.
3) you are then using "Set Duration" to add to the length of the pic that overwrote part of the video. This action will cause the shift between audio and video because to accommodate the longer duration pic, the remaining video slides to the right on the timeline. The audio does not as they were uncoupled by your item 2 action. This is not really a sync issue, you are simply shifting the video relative to the audio doing this edit action.

If that's the method you desire to edit, what one can do is position the cursor on the right edge of the pic, it will change to a double arrow, click and drag to the right to extend. When you release the mouse button you will be given the option to "overwrite" again. Here you are overwriting the video content with more pic, so the audio will not shift relative to the video from which it was uncoupled.

Jeff
[Post New]

It appears what you are doing is this:
1) adding a video to the timeline
2) adding a picture to part of the video stream and using overwrite.
2a) Item 2 action will uncouple the video and audio, one now needs to be very careful during editing to keep this longer slice of audio to always be aligned with the video from which it was uncoupled.
3) you are then using "Set Duration" to add to the length of the pic that overwrote part of the video. This action will cause the shift between audio and video because to accommodate the longer duration pic, the remaining video slides to the right on the timeline. The audio does not as they were uncoupled by your item 2 action. This is not really a sync issue, you are simply shifting the video relative to the audio doing this edit action.

If that's the method you desire to edit, what one can do is position the cursor on the right edge of the pic, it will change to a double arrow, click and drag to the right to extend. When you release the mouse button you will be given the option to "overwrite" again. Here you are overwriting the video content with more pic, so the audio will not shift relative to the video from which it was uncoupled.

Jeff

Thank you!

I wish I had posted the questions earlier. That problem had gone from aggravating to disheartening.