Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 10 will not open PowerDirector 17 disc.
Chadima [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 07, 2019 07:00 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought PowerDirector 17 in disc form but when I try to play it in my Dvd player on my new HP Pavillon Windows 10 computer I get the following message "This type of disc is not supported". The box it came in says itworks in Windows 10. This isn't the first time this has happened to me when I try to play a program download cd. What can I do to fix this?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just bought PowerDirector 17 in disc form but when I try to play it in my Dvd player on my new HP Pavillon Windows 10 computer I get the following message "This type of disc is not supported". The box it came in says itworks in Windows 10. This isn't the first time this has happened to me when I try to play a program download cd. What can I do to fix this?

That is a Data disc. You cannot play it with the DVD player. Close that DVD player. Use windows file explorer to see what is on the disk.

Better still just place that disc in the pc optical drive. If the pc autoplay is working then the installation can start.
Chadima [Avatar]
[Post New]

That is a Data disc. You cannot play it with the DVD player. Close that DVD player. Use windows file explorer to see what is on the disk.

Better still just place that disc in the pc optical drive. If the pc autoplay is working then the installation can start.

Thank you Tom but I finally got it to run setup. There must be a problem with my CD drive as it took 5 attempts to finally recognize the cd. I made sure autorun was enabled but it wont play any discs on autorun. When I called Best Buy (where I bought the computer) The Geek squad told me that Microsoft quit using the autorun feature on the newer Windows 10. Doesn't sound right but what do I know.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Tom but I finally got it to run setup. There must be a problem with my CD drive as it took 5 attempts to finally recognize the cd. I made sure autorun was enabled but it wont play any discs on autorun. When I called Best Buy (where I bought the computer) The Geek squad told me that Microsoft quit using the autorun feature on the newer Windows 10. Doesn't sound right but what do I know.

That change happened because years ago, when people usually installed software from discs rather than by downloading it, there were some pretty bad malware that got onto lots of systems via the autorun feature. This Wikipedia article has more, but it only discusses Windows versions up to 7 and Server 2008. No mention there of 8, 8.1 or 10, but you can see why it's now disabled by default.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2019 15:58

Chadima [Avatar]
[Post New]

That change happened because years ago, when people usually installed software from discs rather than by downloading it, there were some pretty bad malware that got onto lots of systems via the autorun feature. This Wikipedia article has more, but it only discusses Windows versions up to 7 and Server 2008. No mention there of 8, 8.1 or 10, but you can see why it's now disabled by default.

Thanks for the information. Here I thought it was a bad business decision. It makes sense.