Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HDR Content
Anas Hatem [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2018 14:47 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hey! I am aware that PowerDVD 18 supports HDR. My device has 4K display but does not support HDR. My question is, I have a 4K UHD HDR Blu-Ray movie file on my laptop. What will happen if I play that on the software (I'm planning to purchase it, don't have it yet). Will, it not play due to a compatibility issue? Or will the software automatically convert HDR to SDR and thus I'll be able to watch the movie just fine? Thank you.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
powerdvd does not support to convert HDR to SDR (which requires color downscaling and re-mapping).

Perhaps the iGPU might do some post-processing for hdr-to-sdr color re-mapping, but generally it will be played as plain non-HDR status.
I think there is no perfect solution on the market currently. The playback result will be pretty bad if you expect you will see the superior quality with 4k disc.

I'm not sure if your 4k blu-ray's hdr can be turned off or not on the movie menu.
If your uhd-bd package includes a 1080p disc as well, the viewing "might" be better than the 4k blu-ray HDR one on your SDR monitor.