Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Move Clip Question
bcf1ca [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 18:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello;
I'm new to Power Director 17 and loving how well it works for me. I've edited in other packages for years but decided to try PD recently. So far, so good. One minor question though-if I separate audio from video, is there a way to move the video clip vertically to another track without shifting its horizontal position? In my other software, I could hold the Shift key while dragging the clip up or down which prevented it from moving horizontally. This let me make adjustments to the start or end point of the clip without fear of shifting the other part of the clip, maintaining audio sync. I'e checked the shortcut key list and cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Barry
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
After I unlink the audio from a clip in the lower track Moving it up or down to another track is easy. Click on the clip to highlight it. Click and drag the video clip to the new spot. There should be a red line on the left and a blue line on the right edge of the clip to help guide you. You can release the mouse button on the new track when the blue line is visible.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
At least a couple of ways, but not a “Shift” type constrain option that I am aware of. Since you say you split video and audio, if in pref > Editing > Enable snap to clips in timeline is selected, one can drag the video to another track and it will snap to the edge of the previous audio so a pure vertical timeline shift. Even if the audio is deleted, the video edge guides will still be available and snap on the new video track.

Another option would be to place a timeline marker (Shift M) on say the left edge of the clip. One can then move the video clip and have it snap to the marker. The same pref setting needs to be activated.

The red and blue guides tomasc refers to are also only available if the pref setting mentioned above s enabled.

Jeff
bcf1ca [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 18:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to you both for your suggestions; I had noted the red/blue lines and used them in my project to ensure proper alignment. However, today I've noted something that is puzzling. I have 2 clips, one on track 1 and the other on track 2 and I want to overlap the start of the clip on track 1 onto the end of track 2 with a crossfade. I had done this earlier this week, using the Alt+Drop method to automatically apply a crossfade effect. Today, when I try this, I don't get the Alt+Drop option in the mini-menu that appears when I overlap the clips. I only get the Overwrite/Insert/Insert and Move options. The only thing that has changed this week is that I've applied the latest 365 update that was made available through the Application Manager. Is it possible that the update has removed the Alt+Drop option in this scenario? I still get the Crossfade option if the 2 clips are on the same track, but this doesn't work for me when I need to maintain the end point of the second clip (to maintain audio sync for the rest of the project).

I'd appreciate someone trying this who hasn't done the update and advising the result.

Thank you.