Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Difference between LUT and Presets
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
What is the difference between these two tools and when should you use one or the other?

Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What is the difference between these two tools and when should you use one or the other?

Thanks

I haven't used either very often. In fact, I've only used CLUTs when answering questions on the forum, but the main difference as far as I can tell is that CLUTs can be created and shared among different editing programs, whereas the Color Presets are specific to PD.

Basically, CPs are simply predetermined CLUTs chosen by Cyberlink. There isn't any difference between the two from an editing standpoint, which is why they share the same tool and library.

If you search the forum, you'll find at least 1 example where someone created a CLUT in DaVinci Resolve and then imported the CLUT into PD to quickly match new clips to the original one. There are also tutorial vids explaining the process.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2019 16:06

[Post New]
Hello cotsy,

optodata's explanation sums it up quite well, the essential difference being that LUTs (or CLUTs) can be universally applied in a variety of software where "presets" are specifically formulated for a particular application.

You'd be aware that many have asked or wondered about the same question you've put here.

Some LUTs are designed for use with footage shot on particular cameras in LOG, usually named for their specific purpose. Others are made to shift colours to give a "film" look, and others are for more "creative" use.

There's some useful tuition in the google search I linked, but I'd recommend this from Lutify.Me... I particularly like the statement that "if the LUT defies the laws of nature, it’s probably better using a different LUT."

PIX PIX YouTube channel