Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Concerned about a long DVD - What are the optimum settings?
[Post New]
Hi all,

I've recently put together a wedding video which came in at 1 hour and 7 minutes.... 5000mb according to the DVD creation page.

I've had to click 'smart fit' to get this to fit onto a DVD which seems to have worked. In a couple of days time however, I'll be filming a dance show which is scheduled to be around 2 hours long.

I'm concerned that this won't fit on a DVD so does anyone know the optimum settings or any special tricks to enable it all to fit ok?

Thanks in advance.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
You can get it to fit BUT the quality may be terrible.

Have you considered a double layer DVD if you must have a DVD?

Is it possible that a memory stick would work? They are cheap, more foolproof etc. that DVD Many modern TVs have a jack for a memory stick. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Yeah, it's got to be a DVD I'm afraid as it'll be given to the parents of the dancers on the show.

I've just checked and last years show was on a single layer DVD and that ran for 120 minutes. The quality isn't that bad either so I wonder how they did it?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yeah, it's got to be a DVD I'm afraid as it'll be given to the parents of the dancers on the show.

I've just checked and last years show was on a single layer DVD and that ran for 120 minutes. The quality isn't that bad either so I wonder how they did it?

DL (double layer) DVD ? Most DVD players will handle them. More of a question +R or - (dash) R. I did the same thing with a dance concert and had to make both

Edit "that bad" reminds me of the Tv commerciasl - its OK Do you want to be known as an OK videographer or something that is better then OK?

How many dancers? Perhaps thatycan chip in the $2.00 (US) for the thumb drive or just provide them for you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2019 10:48

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
I'm sure I can do a better job than the videographer who did last years show... If I can get it in focus then that would be better than his for a start!laughing

As for the memory sticks, it's a nice idea so thanks for the suggestion but not something the dance leader would want to do this time around I'm afraid.

I think I'll just have to have a play around with the bit rate when I'm producing the videos and see if I can get them to fit. Fingers crossed!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The optimum settings for me would be to use Dolby Digital in place of the LPCM audio to give more headroom for the videos. Choosing a menu that have multiple Title/chapters thumbnails instead of 1 or 2 again to save on disc space and allow more video with a higher bitrate on the DVD to give betteer quality.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
As always Steve and Tomas have provided you with superb advice. I have nothing to add from that perspective.

I did want to jump in on the DVD vs Memory Stick convo.

I have language in my ontracts that states all work will be delivered via USB Stick. I have yet to lose a client based on this.

Keep in mind, I don't rely on income from content creation to pay the bills (I have a 9 to 5 job and video creation is my side hustle). I understand that everyone can't limit how they will deliver their content due to the need to make as much income as possible.

Just felt like adding my insignificant two cents. laughingsealedlaughing Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
[Post New]
Quote The optimum settings for me would be to use Dolby Digital in place of the LPCM audio to give more headroom for the videos. Choosing a menu that have multiple Title/chapters thumbnails instead of 1 or 2 again to save on disc space and allow more video with a higher bitrate on the DVD to give betteer quality.

I just wanted to come on here to say thank you! It looks like using dolby digital instead of LPCM was the deal breaker for fitting it on the disk!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm sure I can do a better job than the videographer who did last years show... If I can get it in focus then that would be better than his for a start!laughing

As for the memory sticks, it's a nice idea so thanks for the suggestion but not something the dance leader would want to do this time around I'm afraid.

I think I'll just have to have a play around with the bit rate when I'm producing the videos and see if I can get them to fit. Fingers crossed!
My guess is they used Smart Fit in the DVD create.

You can fit two hours on a single layer DVD if the bit rate is low enough. Remember a DVD is always standard definition (720 x 480 NTSC)

If your video bit rate is around 4.9 Mbps, you can fit two hours of standard def video on a single layer DVD (4.7GB). Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.