Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improve audio
Chris Peacock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2018 16:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I'm using a Samsung S8 and Rode VideoMicro. Using OpenCamera app.

I'm about 50cm - 100cm or so away from the mic. It's generally ok but in PD17 I have to increase the volume on yhe track for each clip and in some cases use the AudioEditor built in to add 5dB or so to increase it further.

Is there some more automated way of importing the video and audio and use some default/custom template so it autocorrects the audio?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
You can Normalize your audio clips. That automatically brings each clip's audio up to a normal level.
Chris Peacock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2018 16:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can Normalize your audio clips. That automatically brings each clip's audio up to a normal level.

Thanks. Will check it out!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks. Will check it out!

The "Normalize" will set all clips to the same level, not necessarily a normal audio level. However, once they all have the same level, you can then use the horizontal gain slider to adjust the whole track to a normal listening level.

For background, it appears PD kind of uses the most common level of a bunch of clips to normalize to. So, if one's timeline is dominated by very amplified clips and only a few soft clips, PD will "Normalize" to the level of the amplified clips. Not necessary what's desired. The converse is also true, so adjusting overall track gain after "Normalize" is generally required unless the majority of the timeline is at the right level.

Jeff
das3Dstudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2019 19:01 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I tried the above, but have a couple of clips with very low narrative sound and some background music on a separate track.
As I do not want to repeat the narration, I have the trouble that I can not get below -18.4 for the background music and above +12 for the narration.
So the narration is still hard to understand...
Is there a way to fix this or would it be better to export both sound tracks separately to Audacity and import them again?

Thanks,

Fran
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I tried the above, but have a couple of clips with very low narrative sound and some background music on a separate track.
As I do not want to repeat the narration, I have the trouble that I can not get below -18.4 for the background music and above +12 for the narration.
So the narration is still hard to understand...
Is there a way to fix this or would it be better to export both sound tracks separately to Audacity and import them again?

Thanks,

Fran

-28db would be the lower end, type it. If clips need more adjustment than -28db to +12db one would have to process the sound twice, either within PD or a AD produce or outside with Audacity or the like.

Jeff
das3Dstudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2019 19:01 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks JL. Good clarification.