Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ideas on how to create a PIP video that tracks walking path on a map.
[Post New]
I enjoy watching Disney World walk-through videos on YouTube. Typically, the person just silently captures video as he/she walks through a park. It got me to thinking that a neat feature would be for the video to have a Picture-in-Picture video in one of the corners tracking the path taken through the park (with dots or lines).

Although I haven't done a PIP video before, I'm sure I canfigure that out. My question centers on how best to create the video tracking the path on the map.

Is it even feasible?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, it's feasable and there are quite a few posts on the forum already discussing various ways of doing that. Simply search for "map" and you'll find them.

You can use free 3rd party tools or follow the steps that fellow forum member StevenG shows in this tutorial.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote Yes, it's feasable and there are quite a few posts on the forum already discussing various ways of doing that. Simply search for "map" and you'll find them.

You can use free 3rd party tools or follow the steps that fellow forum member StevenG shows in this tutorial.

THANKS!!! StevenG's tutorial is exactly what I was looking for.
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a tutorial showing another method to draw the trail on map. This works when the line of the journey doesn't move in one direction only where you may have to use multiple masks so that you don't uncover the wrong places. So you can go from left to right and back left again, for example. Combine that with Steve G's magnification technique and you will have something special.

--Jim
[Post New]
Quote Here is a tutorial showing another method to draw the trail on map. This works when the line of the journey doesn't move in one direction only where you may have to use multiple masks so that you don't uncover the wrong places. So you can go from left to right and back left again, for example. Combine that with Steve G's magnification technique and you will have something special.

--Jim

Another great option. Thanks Jim!!
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
FWIW I use Route Generator which is a no frills freebe ( http://www.routegenerator.net/index.html)

Basicaly you load a map (JPG) from whatever source, Google, OS maps (UK), scanned hand drawn ! and you can draw a route on the map.

The software cuts the route up into 255 BMP files, which are then combined to to give an avi file which can be put on the time line.

Helps to have a Strong CPU and fast HD or SSD,

I have attached a file that shows a route. Quality is not good as I tried to get file size as small as posible to post.

Rgds
 Filename
Fabricroute.avi
[Disk]
 Description
Route Generator
 Filesize
1963 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
240 time(s)