Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to stop zoom OUT for Action Camera Center's "zoom in effect"?
NigelVideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2014 13:43 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
For "freeze frames" I am using the Action Camera Center's freeze frame function.
Note: I'm aware of the snapshot to JPG method however I'm working with old 8mm film footage and this method degrades the visual quality of the freeze frame.

The Action Camera Center also has a nice tick box for "Apply zoom effect" which I'd like to also use on my freeze frames but when you use this option is always zooms OUT again however I'd like to to zoom in and STAY zoomed in on my freeze frame.

Is there a way to STOP this zoom out when enabling Action Center's Apply zoom effect?

Thanks Nigel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, no.

The Action Camera Center is a nice tool for quickly adding these effects to a clip, but it's really mostly a time-saver rather than a replacement for what can be done on the timeline.

Since it's basically a "grab-n-go" tool, it necessarily has to return to the original clip with everything back to normal, and there isn't any way to go back and adjust any of the actual edits it makes. You can alter the timing and style and even a limited number of times to repeat the effect, but you can't change whether the tool leaves the clip in an altered state or not.

The best way to do what you're asking is actually to use the image option, but make sure that you're using PD's built-in snapshot tool:

You may also want to try changing the Snapshot file name: 2D: type to .png on the Preferences | File screen and see if that improves the quality you're seeing.

In my experience, the quality of the captured screenshot is excellent, and it's usually a pixel to pixel perfect match for the frames before and afterward. One reason it could be off is if you have some corrections or other effects that might possibly change when PD produces the video vs. the image it renders when previewing.

In that case, you may get a better outcome if you use the Produce Range feature and "finalize" that section by producing it ahead of time. Then you can import the produced version and replace the raw clip(s) on the timeline, and now when you pause and take a snapshot, it should exactly match.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply Optodata,

RE: One reason it could be off is if you have some corrections or other effects that might possibly change when PD produces the video vs. the image it renders when previewing.
Yes that may explain it since I am applying a few enhancements while previewing and as you point out the snapshot is probably taken WITHOUT the enhancements applied so appears to be a degraded quality.

RE: Another freeze frame method.
I've just discovered that if you right click a clip you've worked with in Action Camera Center (denoted by the yellow icon on bottom left corner of clip) and select "Show Individual Clips" (see pic) the bit you've freeze framed in Action Center is broken out as a discreet clip which you can then use the Pan & Zoom tool on it.

I find this method of creating a freeze frame better than just right clicking and selecting freeze frame since in Action Center you can experiment with the duration of your freeze frame in relation to its source clip
[Thumb - PD17ShowIndividualClips.png]
 Filename
PD17ShowIndividualClips.png
[Disk]
 Description
Show Individual Clip context menu option
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote RE: Another freeze frame method.
I've just discovered that if you right click a clip you've worked with in Action Camera Center (denoted by the yellow icon on bottom left corner of clip) and select "Show Individual Clips" (see pic) the bit you've freeze framed in Action Center is broken out as a discreet clip which you can then use the Pan & Zoom tool on it.

I find this method of creating a freeze frame better than just right clicking and selecting freeze frame since in Action Center you can experiment with the duration of your freeze frame in relation to its source clip

I hadn't noticed that before, so thanks very much for pointing that out!

Essentially, this feature DOES allow you to access the internal edits made by the Action Center instead of keeping them locked away (like the Motion Tracking tool if you've chosen an Fx as your tracking object, for example). Also, since the created freeze-frame is the actual image that PD created inside the AC, it should match the live clip as well as could be expected.

This is kind of a have your cake and eat it, too situation, since the AC designer is easy to use and experiment with, and Show Individual Clips lets you fully access the resulting clips.

Very nice find, Nigel! cool

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
RE: Have your cake and eat it, too
Yes I agree.... and if you want to have a "spare piece of cake" I recommend making a copy of the AC clip (place it on another timeline) BEFORE selecting "Show Individual Clips" especially if you've applied alot of AC effects/keyframes.

That way if you decide you don't like something about the individual clips you've still got the AC copy (with your AC effects/keyframes) that you can re-open in AC.