Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multicam Editing
DJAC56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2019 04:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't needed to use the multicam edit plugin in PD17 until now, and I have found it somewhat lacking.

I shoot video on 2 action cameras and record commentary onto a seperate device.

I now want to use footage from both cameras, whereas previously I was only using footage from one and the seperate audio.

So, I thought I would try the multicam editor.

I load 2 video clips, one into Camera 1 and the other into Camera 2 - well, obviously!

I then import the audio file.

Problem is, if I try and synch on audio analysis, it scatters the clips apparently at random. I am assuming there is too much disparity between the audio levels captured by the 2 cameras and the audio recorder.

So I need to use the 'markers on clip' method.

But it is not possible to drop a marker on the imported audio track.

Also, the 2 video tracks do not show their associated audio wave forms so it is very difficult to accurately place the markers.

Anyone know if it is possible to communicate this to CyberLink?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In my experience, PD does a really good job of matching content even across widely varying audio levels, clarity and ambient/background noise. Sometimes though, the 3rd or 4th clips may cause conflict as PD can't sync all of them together.

I suggest you try syncing the audio track and one of the video clips outside of the MCD. Place both clips on the main timeline, then select both and click on Sync by Audio.

If you can get those two in sync, select both clips again (if they aren't already selected) and move them to the start of the timeline, so at least one is touching the left edge. If the audio track starts first, you're ready for the next step. If the video clip starts first, place a timeline marker at the exact spot where the audio clip starts. Now save the project.

Next you can try to add the second video clip to the timeline, then select that clip and the audio track and use Sync by Audio again. These two should now be synced, and you can drag them up and to the left and drop them in place with the audio track exactly at the start or aligned with the marker. Save the project again.

Now you have a choice. Since you already have everything synced up on the main timeline, you can actually do all your work there, simply cutting or dropping the opacity to 0 on the lower video clip everywhere you want the upper clip's content to be shown.

If you want to use the MCD, the best solution might be to trim the leading edges of each clip so they all start at the exact same time, and then disable two of the timeline tracks and produce each clip separately. When you're finished, you can simply import the new clips into the MCD and not worry about syncing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
DJAC56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2019 04:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, and thanks for the advice.

Yes, I did end up basically 'hand-cranking' the multi-cam edit on the main timeline editing screen, and it worked out ok.

Onr thing that I have thought to try is to use a horn beep (I'm a motovlogger) to sync the devices (now up to 3 cameras ) BEFORE starting the engine.

Hopefully this will allow the auto sync to pick up the sound more clearly.

Just for info, the multi-cam editor in Pinnacle Studio isn't all that great, either!

Thanks again.