Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Move all tracks together when changing video speed?
Myemerald
Member Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Dec 15, 2016 12:21 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a way to sync the tracks so all of them move together when Video Speed is altered on one of them?

For example, I have a video on track 1 with a title on track 2. If I change the speed of the video, the title no longer aligns with the video.

This effects the entire movie when I have titles all the way through. It's very time consuming and frustrating.

Thanks! DirectorSuite 365 | Win 11 Home | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics 3301 Mhz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | 2TB SSD
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a way to sync the tracks so all of them move together when Video Speed is altered on one of them?

For example, I have a video on track 1 with a title on track 2. If I change the speed of the video, the title no longer aligns with the video.

This effects the entire movie when I have titles all the way through. It's very time consuming and frustrating.

Thanks!

Changing the speed of a clip necessarily changes its duration, and since the effect is applied only to that clip, clips on all of the other tracks will remain exactly as they were before.

In general, it's probably quickest to make all of the speed changes first, and then create the titles.

Since you've already got the titles in place, the quickest way to equalize them depends on whether you've sped up or slowed down the video clip.

If you've sped the clip up and the matching title is now too long, align the scrubber with the right edge of the newly changed clip, then click on its matching title and cut it. Then right-click on the "leftover" part of the title and chose Remove and Fill Gap (or use the CTRL+Del keys), and the other titles on that track will move to the left by the same amount whcih should resync them to their respective video clips.

If you've slowed down a clip and its matching title is now too short, click on the right edge of the title and drag it to the end of the clip, and you'll see a vertical blue line appear to confirm that the edges are aligned. When you release the dragged title edge, chose Trim and Move Clips to slide all of the titles in that track to the right.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Myemerald
[Post New]

Changing the speed of a clip necessarily changes its duration, and since the effect is applied only to that clip, clips on all of the other tracks will remain exactly as they were before.

In general, it's probably quickest to make all of the speed changes first, and then create the titles.

Since you've already got the titles in place, the quickest way to equalize them depends on whether you've sped up or slowed down the video clip.

If you've sped the clip up and the matching title is now too long, align the scrubber with the right edge of the newly changed clip, then click on its matching title and cut it. Then right-click on the "leftover" part of the title and chose Remove and Fill Gap (or use the CTRL+Del keys), and the other titles on that track will move to the left by the same amount whcih should resync them to their respective video clips.

If you've slowed down a clip and its matching title is now too short, click on the right edge of the title and drag it to the end of the clip, and you'll see a vertical blue line appear to confirm that the edges are aligned. When you release the dragged title edge, chose Trim and Move Clips to slide all of the titles in that track to the right.

I'm learning, I will make speed changes first next time around. Then titles, then probably last, chapters?

The problem isn't so much that the duration of the title is off, it's more that it's now in a different location. Not a big deal for this one title, but having to go along the timeline and move all subsequent titles is the time consuming task.

------------------------------------------
*I just tried this exercise on a new project. I can't explain it, but this time the title in track 2 moved with the video it was aligned with on track 1.

Screen shot Before video speed adj
Screen shot of adjustment
Screen shot timeline after adjustment

*I'm leaving this part in, because it may help someone else. I just figured out that if the speed change is applied to the Entire Clip, everything shifts properly.
-----------------------------------------
However, if the video speed is changed in a Selected Range, then the title does not move with the video clip. That title, and any others in that clip have to be moved. It appears that all subsequent clips are aligned properly. I think I will experiment a little more tomorrow and come back here with screen shots.

I'm sorry I wasn't more accurate with my post in the first place. Thank you so much for your help. DirectorSuite 365 | Win 11 Home | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics 3301 Mhz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | 2TB SSD
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm learning, I will make speed changes first next time around. Then titles, then probably last, chapters?

Yes. Definitely do chapters last

Quote I just figured out that if the speed change is applied to the Entire Clip, everything shifts properly.
-----------------------------------------
However, if the video speed is changed in a Selected Range, then the title does not move with the video clip. That title, and any others in that clip have to be moved. It appears that all subsequent clips are aligned properly. I think I will experiment a little more tomorrow and come back here with screen shots.

That's interesting. One thing that may help would be to move the clip and its title to the very end of the project before making the speed changes. That way, regardless of whether you change the speed of just part of the clip or the entire thing, none of the other clips will be affected.

When you drag them back to their original position on the timeline, use the Trim and Move Clips option to make room if you've slowed the clip down. If you've sped it up, line up the leading edges with the original starting point, then drag a selection rectangle around all of the trailing clips and move them to the left until the leading edges of the left-most clips align with the trailing edges of the shortened clip and title.

Experimenting will probably help you find the right approach for each.

Quote I'm sorry I wasn't more accurate with my post in the first place. Thank you so much for your help.

I thought your description was very clear, and the screenshots you provided really showed what you were experiencing. Thanks for posting them!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Myemerald
[Post New]

Yes. Definitely do chapters last
smile

That's interesting. One thing that may help would be to move the clip and its title to the very end of the project before making the speed changes. That way, regardless of whether you change the speed of just part of the clip or the entire thing, none of the other clips will be affected.
BRILLIANT!!

Quote When you drag them back to their original position on the timeline, use the Trim and Move Clips option to make room if you've slowed the clip down. If you've sped it up, line up the leading edges with the original starting point, then drag a selection rectangle around all of the trailing clips and move them to the left until the leading edges of the left-most clips align with the trailing edges of the shortened clip and title.

Experimenting will probably help you find the right approach for each.

I thought your description was very clear, and the screenshots you provided really showed what you were experiencing. Thanks for posting them!

Your suggestions are fantastic! Thank you very much for being so helpfulsmile DirectorSuite 365 | Win 11 Home | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics 3301 Mhz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | 2TB SSD