Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Limit Output File Size
Aerocanarder [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2018 11:39 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD17. With so many soical apps limiting the file size of a video. Is there a way to tell PD to, "Create a given format at the highest resolution possible, but you can't create the file larger than xxx size" ?

Put another way, I want to tell PD that I have a constraint of XXX on the file size for a MP4. I need PD to create that file at the best resolution it can, but make sure that file size--when done, is no larger than XXX size.

Is this possible? If not, what options does one have besides unlimited trial and error and lots of editing, to make this happen?

Thanks,

• Richard Peters

• Jessup, MD

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2019 13:14

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Aerocanarder -

PDR, itself, can't limit file size to a specific value but you can do that by controlling production parameters. Video bitrate, framerate, resolution & total duration are all factors determining file size.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, mathematically, so - when size matters - I use a bitrate calculator to give me an approximate set of parameters. That little tool allows you to set the target file size based on the other properties & it calculates an appropriate VBR. I use those to customise a profile.

It's a bit more complicated than that because it's also affected by the format/container but a ballpark figure is usually all I'm after.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Aerocanarder [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2018 11:39 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Aerocanarder -

PDR, itself, can't limit file size to a specific value but you can do that by controlling production parameters. Video bitrate, framerate, resolution & total duration are all factors determining file size.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, mathematically, so - when size matters - I use a bitrate calculator to give me an approximate set of parameters. That little tool allows you to set the target file size based on the other properties & it calculates an appropriate VBR. I use those to customise a profile.

It's a bit more complicated than that because it's also affected by the format/container but a ballpark figure is usually all I'm after.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks, Tony. I'll try your calculator out. Seems like I'm asking for a feature that should be an option in PD. AVS makes a product that converts videos and does just what I'm asking. So, the means are out there to make this happen. Hopefully, it's an option that will be included in future releases.