Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Want the highest quality DVD from mp4 file
bugslayer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2017 19:16 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Please bear with me. I'm a newbie.

I have PD17. I imported an mp4 from a 4K camcorder.

The length of the video is about 33 minutes.

I want to get this movie onto a DVD, for home viewing.

I've tried a number of things to get the highest quality out of the DVD, but it seems that I always end up with a file that is the 720x480/60i (mpg).

The original mp4 is over 13 Gb. Isn't there a way to get the resolution of the final DVD higher?

If you could point me to a tutorial, or better yet, walk me through some steps that I'm obviously missing, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Yes that quality limitation is correct. What you seem to be missing is the limitation of DVD video. When you burn any video to a DVD for playback on a DVD player, there is a quality limitation because it is an older format. DVD video is MPEG-2 video and is not HD video. If you are burning 4K video, you are losing a lot of quality by doing it this way. Here is a reference that is similar to your question:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/22168/is-it-possible-to-master-a-dvd-with-720hd-high-definition-video

How are you viewing the file? On a DVD player or a computer with a DVD player connected to a TV? What I suggest you to do is burn the MP4 file to a data disc. Maybe your DVD player will recognize the MP4 file, depending on how old it is.

What I do is just put the MP4 file on a USB stick, which plugs right into my TV. This ensures the quality is high.

Dave
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's the defined maximum resolution for DVD, so there's no way you'll ever get anything close to HD on there, nevermind 4k.

If you post your video online, like on Vimeo or YouTube, you can produce to 4k and people can watch it in 4k, as long as they have a fast enough internet connection. If they have a slow connection or only HD-resolution screens, the website will automatically provide a lower res (but still high quality) stream.

If you still want to produce to a disc, Blu-Ray is really the only choice. You can produce up to 3840 x 2160 4k (UHD), and BR burners/readers are pretty inexpensive these days. There are even USB versions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2018 22:05

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
well, welcome to the forum.

also... if you'll be playing on a Blu-ray player then you can use that DvD disc to burn one hour AVCHD disc as 1080 FHD or 720 HD.
it'll only be playable on a BD player, though.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
bugslayer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2017 19:16 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to all. Fortunately, I have Blu-ray.

I was making the DVD for someone else, who owns the DVD player. She's still in the CRT tv era.smile

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2018 19:40