Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD17 rotation bug?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In PD15-17 the video rotation feature was buried in the "Tools" > "Power Tools" > "Crop/Zoom/Pan" area. This appears to have caused some strange anomalies.

1) Put any video in the timeline, in the preview window grab the blue circle and rotate the clip say counter clockwise about 20 degrees or so.
2) Notice the timeline video now has the informative "i" icon that indicates "Power Tools" > "Video Rotation"
3) Navigate to "Tools" > "Power Tools" > "Crop/Zoom/Pan" and the rotation did not carry over, it's 0, a bug? (shown in PD17_rot1)
4) If one tries to add rotation here, say 20 degrees, one gets the preview window with 20 degrees counter clockwise rotation, yet the dashed control frame in the left side window does 20 degrees clockwise, another bug? (shown in PD17_rot2)
5) If one keeps this 20 degrees entered here, now one gets a rotation within a rotation which creates some odd facets in the video preview, another bug? (shown in PD17_rot3)

In previous versions of PD the blue control circle in the preview window was exactly the same as the "Power Tools" rotation and the same as PIP Designer object rotation settings. In PD17 it appears these are connected (items 1-2 above) but yet disconnected (item3). This leads to a lot of strange things as one modifies rotation in the preview window with blue control circle, PIP designer with rotation, or from within Power Tools.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD17_rot1.PNG]
 Filename
PD17_rot1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
718 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
[Thumb - PD17_rot2.PNG]
 Filename
PD17_rot2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
753 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - PD17_rot3.PNG]
 Filename
PD17_rot3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
594 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2018 11:52

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 1) Put any video in the timeline, in the preview window grab the blue circle and rotate the clip say counter clockwise about 20 degrees or so.
2) Notice the timeline video now has the informative "i" icon that indicates "Power Tools" > "Video Rotation"
3) Navigate to "Tools" > "Power Tools" > "Crop/Zoom/Pan" and the rotation did not carry over, it's 0, a bug? (shown in PD17_rot1)

I'm not able to rotate the clip when dragging the blue circle (the green rotate handle is not present either), but if I use the PiP designer and set a rotation, I see the "i" clip icon and then get this message when opening up the Crop/Zoom/Pan tool:

While that message explains the 0 rotation shown in your first pic, it doesn't explain why the C/Z/P tool won't accept the existing setting. On the other hand, if I set the rotation in the C/Z/P tool first, the PiP Designer accepts the setting and displays the clip rotated correctly.

Quote 4) If one tries to add rotation here, say 20 degrees, one gets the preview window with 20 degrees counter clockwise rotation, yet the dashed control frame in the left side window does 20 degrees clockwise, another bug? (shown in PD17_rot2)

I see exactly that, and also that the rotation shown in the preview window is how the clip is shown on the main timeline, so it's the tool orientation that's actually backwards

Quote 5) If one keeps this 20 degrees entered here, now one gets a rotation within a rotation which creates some odd facets in the video preview, another bug? (shown in PD17_rot3)

Definitely. This is what I see with both PiP and C/Z/P rotations set at -40: The frame is rotated CCW by 40 degrees, but the content is not rotated at all, so the -40 and -40 counteract each other with regard to the content (rather than adding to -80). Yet only a single 40 degree frame rotation has occurred, so the logical/mathematical relationship here is completely different. Based on a few tests, it seems to be more of an average of the two settings, where -40 and -40 equals -40.

I can't imagine this is how the tools were designed to interact, so it seems like some serious prioritization and integration needs to occur here, as in using the same rotation setting across tools, or at least applying the setting consistently.

This clearly should be reported, and thanks for posting about your discovery!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

I totally confirm all of that in PDR17. which is inconsistent with Video Rotation behaviour in PDR16, 15 & 14.

Preview window rotation (blue circle) does not register in Crop/Zoom/Pan, as "PD17_rot1" shows.
Clockwise & counter-clockwise rotation is reversed, as "PD17_rot2" shows
Combination of preview screen rotation (blue circle) & Crop/Zoom/Pan rotation causes strange cropping effects, as "PD17_rot3" shows.

Furthermore, in PDR16, 15 & 14, if a video is rotated (say) 20° in Video Rotation - then opened in PiP Designer, "Object Settings" indicates 20° rotation has been set. PDR17 Object Settings states 0°, after equivalent settings have been made.

Integrating/combining the previously separate tools hasn't gone too smoothly!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks both for taking the time to validating the issues, one thing more for CL to add to the list for correcting in a new patch.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've reported the issue on Ticket # CS001973017.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
We received feedback from CL Development team that this is not a bug, but expected behaviour.

In PowerDirector 17, rotating media clips can be performed in the Preview Window only. In previous versions, Power Tools included the Video Rotation feature, which did the same thing. It was removed as it was deemed a redundant feature, i.e. it can be done in the preview window.

The Crop/Zoom/Pan feature is different, as it is rotating the canvas, not the media clip. This is expected, as you are adjusting the focus area box to produce the desired effect.

FYI, the "i" for Power Tools > Video Rotation mentioned will be removed in a future version, as it should not be shown anymore. Also, as Optodata mentioned, the rotation is ignored in the Crop/Zoom/Pan window as the message indicates. This is consistent from previous versions.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In PowerDirector 17, rotating media clips can be performed in the Preview Window only.

Only? Not really, the same graphic rotation performed in the Preview Window is passed and can be changed in the PIP Designer with more control which is a good and needed feature.

Quote FYI, the "i" for Power Tools > Video Rotation mentioned will be removed in a future version, as it should not be shown anymore. Also, as Optodata mentioned, the rotation is ignored in the Crop/Zoom/Pan window as the message indicates. This is consistent from previous versions.

Maybe depends what you mean by ignored. It appears for the display in the "Crop/Zoom/Pan" module they have elected not to process modifications that were done to the clip in the timeline (effect, fix/enhance, rotation,...), however, the modifications are not ignored, they are still applied. And this is not consistent either, for instance, apply motion in PIP designer, it too is ignored in the display within "Crop/Zoom/Pan" but no such ignored warning.

You might want to review and adjust the PD17 guide, PowerDirector_UG_ENU.pd.pdf, it also still refers to basic rotation being in the "Using Power Tools" section on page 181/182 with the statement:
"Video/Photo Rotation: select this option and then use the buttons to rotate a video or image up to 360 degrees in either direction. You can also enter in a custom rotation amount in the field provided, and press the Enter key on your keyboard to apply it."

You might also want to improve the discussion of rotation on page 184 of the "Crop/Zoom/Pan" section too that the rotation applies to the "canvas" not the picture. As written:
"add a rotation to the zoom or pan by adding a keyframe to the keyframe timeline and then entering the rotation amount in the field provided. You can also click and drag on top of the focus area to rotate it manually."
One may come away with the thought that it rotates the video, focus area didn't convey feature intent. It appears this entire module is working with the unmodified video frame timeline content. It's almost like a standalone module was written to do this and then used in PD vs any form of real integration in PD.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2018 10:04

optodata
[Post New]
Quote The Crop/Zoom/Pan feature is different, as it is rotating the canvas, not the media clip. This is expected, as you are adjusting the focus area box to produce the desired effect.

OK, that helps explain why it looked like the tool was working in the opposite direction as the preview.

So in reality, I'm NOT using the tool to drag/rotate the frame to my desired orientation, I'm actually rotating the canvas and I should watch the preview window to see what my rotation will look like on the timeline (which is horizontal 16:9 in this example):

And vertical 9:16 here:

YouTube/optodata

MariaFNL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 12, 2018 15:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Has the fix for this bug been found? I have the same problem with PD16.
it does no matter if I use the CZP function or simply enlarge and rotate the video using the object settings, upon production the zoom and crop are OK but the rotation is not.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Has the fix for this bug been found? I have the same problem with PD16. it does no matter if I use the CZP function or simply enlarge and rotate the video using the object settings, upon production the zoom and crop are OK but the rotation is not.

MariaFNL, concerning OP anomaly, CL through PDM indicated it's as designed.

Concerning your issue with PD16, I seriously doubt you will see any update concerning this for PD16.

Jeff
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Learned a lot from this post. Thank you all for your contributions. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.