Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-ray DVD Burning Erratic
JOHNinTexas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2018 13:08 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I recently created video to burn to Blu-Ray DVD. The first 3 copies I burned play well in both the LG burner (with computer) and two different Sony DVD players. The last three copies I burned will not play (won't load) in the two DVD players, but do play in the LG burner . Any thoughts?
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
JOHNinTexas:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I am not sure of your level of expertise, so please do not be offended if you already know what I am about to tell you.

Blu-ray disks are entirely different beasts from DVD disks. You can search both with Google.

If your computer has, which I presume it does, an LG BD writer/reader optical device, and you burned a BD disk, then, of course, your LG optical drive can read the Blu-ray disk that it burned.

If your Sony DVD players are really DVD players, and not BD players, then they will not be able to read any Blu-ray disk. Standard DVD players cannot even read AVCHD disks that are burned to actual DVD disks and not to Blu-ray disks.

If this is not issue, please let us know, and the volunteers here, who are very knowledgeable (I don't include myself in that group) will work with you to find a solution, if one can be found. I have owned many a Sony device, including multiple DVD and BD players, but I have found them to be very "fussy" about reading non-commercial Blu-ray disks. It is hit and miss. I have replaced my Sony gear with Samsung equipment, which I have found to be very good (I am not affiliated with Samsung in any way, by the way).

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
JOHNinTexas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote JOHNinTexas: Thanks for your quick reply. The two different Sony players are both Blu-ray but different models. The puzzling thing was, the first three disks I burned worked fine, but later ones not. I have now made sure the burning rate was the slowest possible speed and it appears to have fixed the problem. I'll have more data soon.

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I am not sure of your level of expertise, so please do not be offended if you already know what I am about to tell you.

Blu-ray disks are entirely different beasts from DVD disks. You can search both with Google.

If your computer has, which I presume it does, an LG BD writer/reader optical device, and you burned a BD disk, then, of course, your LG optical drive can read the Blu-ray disk that it burned.

If your Sony DVD players are really DVD players, and not BD players, then they will not be able to read any Blu-ray disk. Standard DVD players cannot even read AVCHD disks that are burned to actual DVD disks and not to Blu-ray disks.

If this is not issue, please let us know, and the volunteers here, who are very knowledgeable (I don't include myself in that group) will work with you to find a solution, if one can be found. I have owned many a Sony device, including multiple DVD and BD players, but I have found them to be very "fussy" about reading non-commercial Blu-ray disks. It is hit and miss. I have replaced my Sony gear with Samsung equipment, which I have found to be very good (I am not affiliated with Samsung in any way, by the way).

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
JOHNinTexas:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, burning speed does make a HUGE difference. I always burn at least 50 percent slower than the rated write speed of the Verbatim BD disks that I use. You get much better results and avoid burn errors.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I am chasing a DVD problem at the moment,

I use m2ts format to burn to DVD, AVCH . I found for some reason the file I was produced had changed from 30 fps. To 50 fps. Although the rest of the information about the clip remained the same

I an not sure at the moment if this is the cause of the failures, but certainly would not help ?

rgds
[Post New]
Quote I am chasing a DVD problem at the moment,

I use m2ts format to burn to DVD, AVCH . I found for some reason the file I was produced had changed from 30 fps. To 50 fps. Although the rest of the information about the clip remained the same

I an not sure at the moment if this is the cause of the failures, but certainly would not help ?

rgds

According to your ID, I guess you live in UK, which is PAL area and your player and TV should be 25/50FPS.
Check the setting in Preferences > General > Timeline frame rate.
JOHNinTexas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote JOHNinTexas:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, burning speed does make a HUGE difference. I always burn at least 50 percent slower than the rated write speed of the Verbatim BD disks that I use. You get much better results and avoid burn errors.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I am still getting erratic results. Only 2 of the last three disks I burned worked. The bad disks simply will not load. The players just sit cycling with "loading" indicated on the screen. The disks I am using are 25 GB Verbatim 16X. I am burning them at 2.0, the slowest speed allowed I think. My BD players are a Sony BDP-S5100, and a Sony BDP-S580. The bad disks also will not play in a BD drive in an ASUS desktop (not sure of BD drive mfg).

My burner is an LG PB06LU10. The video content is always the same. They all will play in it. Very strange. Any thoughts?
garioch7
[Post New]
JOHNinTexas:

Very strange indeed! I am out of ideas. If you had a bad batch of Verbatim BDs, then they should not play in anything, BUT different drives/players do have different "tolerance levels" when handling errors.

Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable here on the Forums has an idea. There is a wealth of expertise here, even though we are all volunteers.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Can I ask how often have you put a lens cleaner through your disc burner? If you don't do so on a regular basis then it is well worth getting a cleaning disc and running it before a burning session. The slightest bit of dust in or near the lens can cause problems and for what it costs, it's worth doing in any case. When I was still at work I used to duplicate several thousand discs a month. After one spell of burning coasters I got into the habit of putting lens cleaners into all the drives of our duplicator before starting a session and I'm sure it cut down the error rate.

If all the failures are with discs bunred on the same drive then you also need to consider misalignment. Classic indicator is discs can be read by that drive and no other.

Sony players not being able to read discs is not unusual at all in my experience.
JOHNinTexas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can I ask how often have you put a lens cleaner through your disc burner? If you don't do so on a regular basis then it is well worth getting a cleaning disc and running it before a burning session. The slightest bit of dust in or near the lens can cause problems and for what it costs, it's worth doing in any case. When I was still at work I used to duplicate several thousand discs a month. After one spell of burning coasters I got into the habit of putting lens cleaners into all the drives of our duplicator before starting a session and I'm sure it cut down the error rate.

If all the failures are with discs bunred on the same drive then you also need to consider misalignment. Classic indicator is discs can be read by that drive and no other.

Sony players not being able to read discs is not unusual at all in my experience.

Thanks, it has been a while since I cleaned the drive. I will try that. I appreciate everyones advice.
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to the King for the suggestion, I'll take look when the festivities have died down.

rgds