Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
format question
Irenej [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Mar 19, 2013 05:05 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Iam doing a MPeg 2 for family in UK and,also, sending over a pendrive to the USA. Do I need to choose the NTSC setting for USA or is that just for DVD's?
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
PAL DVD players are capable of playing NTSC but most American DVD players aren't capable of playing PAL.

So if you're looking to create one disc for both European and American friends, you're best creating it as NTSC.

Or are you asking about video that will played online or on a computer?

If your friends are going to view your video on a computer or strreamed, it doesn't matter which standard you choose. So I'd recommend 30 fps non-interlaced.

Or do you have another way you plan to distribute your movie?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2018 08:03

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
As you are writing your video to a USB flash drive, I'd probably go with an MP4 (H264 or H265) rather than the older format of MPEG-2. I'd check with the recipients what they prefer, if they are not too many.

As StevenG says, it's only when your are burning to a DVD that you need to concern yourself about NTSC/PAL.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2018 08:18

Irenej [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice.
I thought that was the case regarding the necessity for concern about NTSC/PAL. only in relation to burning to a DVD.
The plan for the USA is that thry will play the video throygh a computer or the smart TV.
I have produced in Mpeg2, but I will redo in Mpeg4.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought, which may or may not be of interest, if you are sharing with friends/relations in USA and Canada as I do - YouTube is a great way of doing this very quickly, no postage and no risk of items getting 'lost in the post'. YT has an option for uploaded files "Unlisted" which means that although anybody can watch the video, you can only do so if you know what the URL is. The files are sort of semi-private.
Irenej [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, Thanks.
I'm aware of that option, slthough, I've never tried it. The video is a present on a personalised usb and that is why in this case I ma sending it to them. But, appreciate all and any advice.