Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photo Organization
Judie Schinz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2018 00:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
considering purchase of PhD 10 for my MAC. How are photos organized? I do not like Apple iPhoto or Photo. Want to see my photos in Finder under my various file folders aptly named for the photos in that folder and sub folders. Like Pictures/Trips/Hawaii. Etc. So I would see and have access to the photos on my hard drive, not hidden in a “Library” like Apple does. So please can someone tell me how PhD10 organizes photos.
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Judie

PhotoDirecter organises your photos however you want to.

It uses projects - you can create a project for all your photos or for specific folders/. For instance, I have a project for every event or location.

When you import your photos it creates a file to record where the folders are located (I don't use a Mac so I can't comment on this process there). On import, there is a setting to copy the files to another location (photo director does not hold the photos, just info about them).

When imported, you can use albums and tags to organise and there are smart folders that can show photos based on various criteria.

Hope this at least answers part of your query.

Phil
Judie Schinz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2018 00:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks - so the photos remain in the file folder where they were originally. Looks like I would still have access to them outside of Photo Director. Would edits I make to the photo in PhD show on the original photo?

Also you say there is an option to copy the files to a different location. So if the files are in a file folder on my hard drive and all I want to do is import them to PhD, they would still remain on my hard drive. I don't want to have 2 opies of the photos. Sounds like PhD just "references" the photos on my hard drive. Any changes I make would be reflected on the original photo?

I am still somewhat confused

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2018 13:41

Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Judie

Yes, the photos are referenced to the original file structure.

The copy feature (which can be turned off) allows you to create copies on import to, say, a cloud service or back up drive.

Edits made by PhotoDirector are held in the application until you export the photo and either replace the original or create a changed copy. This means that you can remove any of the adjustments/edits whenever you want.

By this method, you can be creative and try lots of effects but still keep the original.

Phil
akdave [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2018 18:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I am considering purchase of PhD10. I will do editing on an iMac and have around 32,000 images stored in Apple Photos. All of the photos are organized by date and then some have been organized into albums. I would like to use only one photo processing/organization program (ie., hopefully not use Apple Photos any longer.)

Is PhD10 an appropriate choce or should I look elsewhere (e.g. Lightroom)?

How does the import process from Apple Photos to PhD 10 work?
Is there an automated process for the conversion or will I have to do this manually?
Will the date, album structure remain intact if done automatically?

If the import process must be done manually can I maintain both the date and album organization?

In my future without Apple Photos, can I directly impot ino PhD10?

Is there a raw conversion processor in PhD10?

Your expertise and help is greatly appreciated.
Philwild [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Apple Photos.

What I can tell you is that the import of the photos does not move them from their original location (I presume this is the same on the Mac) you can specify a copy location if you want.

There isn't an automatic process and you would need to create albums in PhD10 (though in Windows the original file structure is maintained).

It may be that this software will be a good fit for you. I hope that you get the answers you need.

Regards

Phil
akdave [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2018 18:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Phil.

Does one need to maintain a separarte photo library outside of PhD 10 to keep the images organized?

Can photos be directly imported into PhD 10?

is there a RAW conversion processor in PhD 10?

thanks again,

Dave
Philwild [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dave

The first thing to bear in mind is that the application doesn't store your pictures, just the location and any edits you have made.

I'm not sure what you mean by "directly imported".

I believe that you can develop RAW, but I'm not sure.

Regards

Phil