Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adjust LUT intensity
browniee112 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 28, 2017 03:57 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any way to adjust the intensity of a LUT once applied to the clip? This feature seems to be available in both Premiere Pro and Resolve.

I find that multiple people are asking this question on Facebook and YouTube.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi browniee112 -

You're right. That adjustment is possible in some other software... & the question is asked repeatedly.

PDR17 doesn't have the ability to do that, at this stage, but you can tone down the intensity of the seected LUT by overlaying the original clip and adjusting opacity.

Also see the attached timeline screenshot.

When the question was posed in another group, I posted this example video of the above:

You could also modify the LUT in Resolve and save it as a new LUT to be imported into PDR... or just edit in Resolve.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - LUT Intensity.jpg]
 Filename
LUT Intensity.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
799 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi browniee112 -

You're right. That adjustment is possible in some other software... & the question is asked repeatedly.

PDR17 doesn't have the ability to do that, at this stage, but you can tone down the intensity of the seected LUT by overlaying the original clip and adjusting opacity.

Also see the attached timeline screenshot.

When the question was posed in another group, I posted this example video of the above:

You could also modify the LUT in Resolve and save it as a new LUT to be imported into PDR... or just edit in Resolve.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for that.
That method will require to keep copy pasting the original clip to a higher track and adjusting manualy, this can get tedious when you have like 30 or 40 clips or more.

I see the merit in this work around though, can you think of any other work arounds if you have a lot of clips?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a very easy way to use Tony's excellent method across an entire project.

Once you have the opacity settings the way you want them on a single clip, you can right-click and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. For your next clip, copy it and place it on the track above, then simply right click on the lower one and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes.

Note that the clip copy and attribute copy use different "clipboards" so they won't interfere with each other cool

If even doing that clip by clip that is too much work, then place all of your original clips first, then copy the entire section and paste it in the upper track. Once you copy the original clip's opacity keyframe attributes, highlight the remaining lower track clips and paste them.

Boom - you're done!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There's a very easy way to use Tony's excellent method across an entire project.

Once you have the opacity settings the way you want them on a single clip, you can right-click and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. For your next clip, copy it and place it on the track above, then simply right click on the lower one and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes.

Note that the clip copy and attribute copy use different "clipboards" so they won't interfere with each other cool

If even doing that clip by clip that is too much work, then place all of your original clips first, then copy the entire section and paste it in the upper track. Once you copy the original clip's opacity keyframe attributes, highlight the remaining lower track clips and paste them.

Boom - you're done!

Hi sorry for being dumb, but I didn't quite understand your methodology. Got a bit confused, do you know if there are any YouTube video by anyone showing how it is done? Please and thanks for your help, highly appreciated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm very sorry for the confusion - I made a big mistake.

The method I described works for many (even most) clip settings, but it does NOT work for CLUTs or Color Match settings. Using Copy Keyframe Attributes will work for copying the opacity setting from one lower clip to all of the others, but you may have to manually set the CLUT for each of your upper track clips.

I'll make a video if I can figure out another way to do that. Please accept my apologies for the above, incorrect suggestion!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm very sorry for the confusion - I made a big mistake.

The method I described works for many (even most) clip settings, but it does NOT work for CLUTs or Color Match settings. Using Copy Keyframe Attributes will work for copying the opacity setting from one lower clip to all of the others, but you may have to manually set the CLUT for each of your upper track clips.

I'll make a video if I can figure out another way to do that. Please accept my apologies for the above, incorrect suggestion!

No problem

If you do figure a good way to color grade and utilize LUTS, please do advise