Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 12 Ext. Subtitles Not Working
walrus62 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 04, 2017 14:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
1. According to the User Guide that I can access via the software, I should be able to use external subtitles like so:

"When playing a video file, CyberLink Power
Media Player searches for a subtitle file in the same directory where the video
file is located. If a file is found, the subtitles are loaded and the
Subtitles option is enabled in the Express Menu.

CyberLink Power Media Player supports the
following subtitle formats: SMI, ASS, SAA, PSB, SRT, SUB."

I have put a .vob file and a .srt file in the same folder with nothing else inside, but when I open the .vob file, the Subtitles menu is grayed out. I tried dragging and dropping the .srt while the .vob was opened and it didn't like that. I am using version 12.0.5318.05. (I tried this on VLC and it works fine, but I'd strongly prefer to use Cyberlink software.)

2. I don't know why the program sometimes says "Power Media Player" vs "PowerDVD". The opened software says "Power Media Player" in the upper-left corner but the file names are "PowerDVD". I went to the PowerDVD 12 User Guide online and it has the exact same subtitle instructions, except it calls itself "PowerDVD" instead. What software do I have?

3. While I'm at it, is there a way to play external subtitles with a commercial DVD?

Help on any of these would be much appreciated!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2018 10:37

CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Here are some answers/info for each:

1. From what I know, external subtitles do not work for VOB video files, which is DVD Video. In PowerDVD 18 you can use external subtitles on Blu-ray files, but not on DVD files. So I doubt it would work in version 12.

2. No idea why you have Power Media Player help, but would think it is because you have some kind of OEM version that came with a computer or drive, i.e. not a full version. Your PowerDVD 12 version is not in the list of retail version updates:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

3. Answered in #1. External subtitles do not work for commerical DVDs, even in PowerDVD 18.

David