Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blurry text in title
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2008 22:53 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
When I use the Default template to make a title, the resulting text is almost always blurry. It looks great in the Title Designer window, okay in the timeline preview (though not crisp like the modify window) and ultimately crappy when the movie is produced, regardless of what quality I produce (wmv 9, mpg2, avi, etc). The avi is the clearest, but since most of the things I do are for online viewer, that file size is just not practical. I've tried using small fonts, bigger fonts, plain (arial) fonts, fancy (script) fonts. Nothing seems to make a difference.

It is somewhat better if I use one of the prefab character presets, but not even all of those are successful. It's extremely frustrating to create a nice clear, crisp video and then have blurry, amateur looking titles/credits.

Help!!??

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 26. 2009 14:03

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Cindy -

I've had similar issues & have found the most common cause is the setting you apply to Border/shadow, blur and transparency. I have also found (annoyingly) that when I copy and paste a title, it quite often reverts to a default setting for blur/transparency.

What I've done is save a few (that don't have that blurry appearance) in favourites and use them to modify.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 09. 2009 14:15

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony,

I have tried using one that works (most notably the fiery orange/red italicized Arial one) and then modifying it. It does work to a point, but I don't always want bright/thick lettering like that, you know?

Case in point, I just made a video that used both that orange/red preset, and the solid red/dropshadowed one in the same title. The orange/red - brilliant and sharp, the red - crummy and blurry. Arrrghhh!!!!

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Cindy,
The edges of a Title (for a DVD etc) have always been a problem for us video editors. As Tony has suggested, add a coloured (black) edge - even down to one pixel, it really does help.

Dafydd
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies, guys. Not the answers I'd hoped for, but alas, the answers I expected. Maybe Cyberlink will come up with a solution one of these versions.

It's a shame because we can create such otherwise-professional looking work with PD, and then spoil it with amateurish titling. *sigh*
[Post New]
I have always very crisp fonts on my titles (AVCHD 1920x1080) without any borders (white fonts on the black background).
It is true, that when I try to do DVD (even HQ) from my projects, quality of movies dramatically getting down - especially fonts, so the problem is in resolution I guess (like after changing your PC native resolution all the fonts are blurred).

sorry for my English
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cindy -

I made a little titles & text video - only a few bits of it came out blurry & that's because I MADE them that way... you can see it at: REMOVED

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 06. 2010 12:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Well if I could find one of my old posts about this very thing I would, however, perhaps someone can show me how to search for only the topics I've started etc. and I will link to it.

Here I thought you were going to answer my concerns about this very issue.

As it stands Tony what a cute video. Although not really helpful.

I don't do fancy things AND, in fact, the pictures that I posted in the thread that I was searching for, showed very basic lettering on a plain background. I redid a teeny experiment so that this might be clearer for you.

1. Here is the edit screen to type in a title. I added a plain black
background (which I think follows your instructions) I used one
of the main fonts on the left, it was red (contrast) it was outlined
I believe you mentioned that - it was Arial (can't get much plainer
or clearer a font than that. SO it looks pretty clear in this picture.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/goldarngirl/clearish.jpg

2. I was going to post another picture of this title right after I closed the
Title editing screen, but you and I both know that this doesn't work. I
can take a photograph if you like - but I am hoping you believe me
when I say that it immediately loses its crispness.

3. I then produced it at an mpg 2 8000kbps. Now this is not a moving
background, in fact the video doesn't really move. I took a screen
cap of the video and you can see there is a fair bit of diminishment of
sharpness.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/goldarngirl/VideoNOT.jpg

The bottom line is this, if you give us font and titles we should be able to use them. Some of your video is logical moving background and font and lettering that blends in, of course you can't see them (whether they are clear or not) I think that is common sense. There may be some people out there that expect miracles, I don't - I would imagine Cindy doesn't either but there is no question that the diminishment of clarity that is immediately apparent in the most basic of titling, is not a good thing.

It is also true, when you consider all of the things that Power Director can/will do, that there are (what seem simple) things that could be done to improve it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2009 22:26

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

It is my understanding that when you create a project in PD at a 4:3 aspect ratio, it defaults to a 640x480 working resolution if your clips/images are lower that 640x480.
If you are working at the 16:9 aspect ratio, you are working in a default minimum of a 1280x720 resolution.
And your text is subject to the particular resolution you are working in.
However I may be wrong with my facts here, so someone please correct me if I am..

Also, I have found that the format you produce to, seems to effect the quality and sharpness of one’s text.

I did a little test where I put text on a white background in 4:3, and produced to Mpeg2 DVD HQ. Then I did the same test in 16:9, and produced to WMV9 HD Standard Quality. (note: I just used a white background, and there’s no such thing as a HD white background)
Then I opened a new project and placed the produced clips side by side for comparison.

I have uploaded the test for anyone who may be interested, and it can be downloaded at this link (for opening in your preferred media player).
http://www.mediafire.com/?5zj4zyhhzet

It’s only a 2.58MB download with a running time of 00:29, so it’s a quick download.
But I think it demonstrates that the higher the resolution you are working/creating in, the better one’s text looks. And that 4:3 Mpeg2 text, is just simply fuzzy by nature. One workaround is to pre-produce one’s text, and then place it in a PIP of your main project, and then use the Sharpen tool to crisp it up a bit.
I also did another 4:3 test, where I produced it to the MOV HQ profile, and the text was a bit crisper than producing to Mpeg2.
Of course, your results may be different on you systems (void where prohibited – batteries not included – consult with your physician), and all that.
Other than the little work around, which is not always feasible, this doesn’t offer a fix for the fuzzy 4:3 created text, but rather just an observation (correct or not), for what it’s worth.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your observation. I will take a look at your video and give your different work arounds a try when I get home from the office.

It is true that I notice even before I produce the video that the text goes fuzzy and for sure the interlacing on the mpg2 doesn't help. It happens, however, as soon as the Title editing window is closed, the text in the viewing window on the right is immediately fuzzy.

If it does go to a smaller size, that might answer the question.

Thanks. I will report what I found on my system.
Cindy5230 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am not convinced still that it is completely a question of production, because a good measure of the blurring occurs before the project is ever produced. As McLean pointed out, the title looks great in the title creator, and as soon as it's placed in the timeline the quality diminishes. Producing only compounds it.

In your sample movie, the plain, white text you use to caption is quite clear - I would be satisfied if my title could look like that.

I do like the idea of pre-producing the titles and adding them in - good workaround!!

I am still frustrated by the idea that PD7 can give some really incredible effects (for the price) and can't work out some simple titling issues.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I've just posted a short video

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/672/title-definition/

where I used a screen magnifier to see any blur in the titles. It's in PD8 so maybe doesn't help directly, and I deliberately went for BD mpg to try to illustrate the point.

The render to .flv doesn't help I'm afraid but maybe the use of the screen magnifier will help diagnose where the blur occurs - ie is it always there but only at full size does it become more apparent?

If I get more time I'll try some more experiments with different production formats.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.