Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgrade lost custom profiles
[Post New]
This is why we long time users have a love/hate relationhip with PD...

I upgraded from PDF 15 to 17 and lost all my custom rendering profiles, texts, transitions, etc. This is an issue going back to at least PD 7. With every upgrade I have to ask how to get them back again, and then spend time doing it.

So what's the secret this time? Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You have to create the custom profiles in each new version of PD.

There is an easy way to do this. If you just installed PD17 then the Profile.ini in PD17 is empty. You can then copy the Profile.ini from the PD15 folder to the PD17 one and overwrite it. You will then have all those custom profiles available from PD15 in PD17. The PD15 Profile,ini is at this location: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\UserConfigure\Profile.ini .

I buy full versions instead of upgrade versions like many others for a reason. I believe all the custom titles and transitions created in PD15 should be in PD17 assuming that you let the PD17 upgrade uninstall the previous version. Mine are all there. If you uninstall PD15 first by yourself then there is no way PD17 can have all the stuff from PD15 transferred over because you already removed it yourself instead of allowing PD17 to do the job correctly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2018 17:07

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry your custom content isn't being picked up by PD17. I've never had problems maintaing when updating since PD11 (unless I had to do a full Windows reinstall without a backup), but I know other people have had difficulty.

In addition to what tomasc posted, there are other threads dealing with custom content, with this post describing some of the recovery/transfer options, and this one detailing the various folder locations where items are stored.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote You have to create the custom profiles in each new version of PD. There is an easy way to do this. If you just installed PD17 then the Profile.ini in PD17 is empty. You can then copy the Profile.ini from the PD15 folder to the PD17 one and overwrite it. You will then have all those custom profiles available from PD15 in PD17. The PD15 Profile,ini is at this location: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\UserConfigure\Profile.ini . I buy full versions instead of upgrade versions like many others for a reason. I believe all the custom titles and transitions created in PD15 should be in PD17 assuming that you let the PD17 upgrade uninstall the previous version. Mine are all there. If you uninstall PD15 first by yourself then there is no way PD17 can have all the stuff from PD15 transferred over because you already removed it yourself instead of allowing PD17 to do the job correctly.

Thanks for the information. I allowed the upgrade to do what it wanted, which was to uninstall PD15 on-the-fly during the PD17 install. It did not copy/merge any of my previous custom stuff. This has been my experience with every upgrade of PD. Not sure the logic behind this, as all other software does a real upgrade (doesn't loose what you already had) vs a "replace". The latter resulting in the "hacking" of files to get back to where you were. Thanks for reminding me what to do. P.S. The profiles.ini fix doesn't put back the custom texts and other custom components you've made. Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
[Post New]
Quote I'm sorry your custom content isn't being picked up by PD17. I've never had problems maintaing when updating since PD11 (unless I had to do a full Windows reinstall without a backup), but I know other people have had difficulty. In addition to what tomasc posted, there are other threads dealing with custom content, with this post describing some of the recovery/transfer options, and this one detailing the various folder locations where items are stored.

Thanks for the info! Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The first part of my answer is for restoring all the custom rendering profiles from PD15 to the newly installed PD17. It works if PD15 is still installed so you don’t have to create them again in PD17.

The second part of my answer is for those installing a full version of PD17 in which some refers to as an upgrade, but they installed a full version and not an upgrade version. This leaves PD15 intact. PD17 is then able to have all the custom titles, transitions, particles, PiP objects available because it finds them in the PD15 custom folders. It does not create a duplicate of them at all for use in PD17.

Those who purchase the Ultimate full versions get to be able to continue using the previous NewBlue premium packs on PD15 itself which can be quite expensive if purchased separately. That is one of the reason for individuals to leave the old versions installed. Buying an upgrade version of PD17 instead of a full version of PD17 say at the end of the year to save $10 is a false economy. You have to do all the custom work again and lose the use of those expensive NewBlue packs.

Hope this help someone and clarify whether saving a few dollars now is worth it.

P.S. As optodata has indicated those who do backups can restore all those created custom assets from PD15 to the proper PD17 folders upgrade version. All those custom assets will then be available for use in PD17.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 10. 2018 22:09

[Post New]
Quote The first part of my answer is for restoring all the custom rendering profiles from PD15 to the newly installed PD17. It works if PD15 is still installed so you don’t have to create them again in PD17. The second part of my answer is for those installing a full version of PD17 in which some refers to as an upgrade, but they installed a full version and not an upgrade version. This leaves PD15 intact. PD17 is then able to have all the custom titles, transitions, particles, PiP objects available because it finds them in the PD15 custom folders. It does not create a duplicate of them at all for use in PD17. Those who purchase the Ultimate full versions get to be able to continue using the previous NewBlue premium packs on PD15 itself which can be quite expensive if purchased separately. That is one of the reason for individuals to leave the old versions installed. Buying an upgrade version of PD17 instead of a full version of PD17 say at the end of the year to save $10 is a false economy. You have to do all the custom work again and lose the use of those expensive NewBlue packs. Hope this help someone and clarify whether saving a few dollars now is worth it. P.S. As optodata has indicated those who do backups can restore all those created custom assets from PD15 to the proper PD17 folders upgrade version. All those custom assets will then be available for use in PD17.

What's the logic behind having two different installation methods depending on product purchased? I think most people think an upgrade is an "upgrade" (not replacement). I wish I had know this before installing, as I simply could have said "No" when the install process said -- Please uninstall PD15 -- do you want to do that now? 20-20 hindsight. As previously stated -- be prepared for a love/hate relationship when working with Cyberlink. )o: Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What's the logic behind having two different installation methods depending on product purchased? I think most people think an upgrade is an "upgrade" (not replacement). I wish I had know this before installing, as I simply could have said "No" when the install process said -- Please uninstall PD15 -- do you want to do that now? 20-20 hindsight. As previously stated -- be prepared for a love/hate relationship when working with Cyberlink. )o:

If you were given the option to uninstall PD15, that implies that you bought the full version and could have left PD15 installed. Not that you would have had the info you needed at the time.

If you purchased the "upgrade," I believe PD15 has to be removed by the PD17 installer because you're upgrading an existing installation on the same license, and you don't have a choice to keep the older version.

That's not a Cyberlink issue, it's common practice whenever software licenses are used (as with most paid/supported software). You won't see anything like that when a patch or similar "update" is released, but once you're upgrading to the next version, that's a clear boundary as far as support and licensing is concerned.

In the new/full installation case, I believe the PD15 uninstaller should have given you a separate option asking whether you wanted to keep or remove downloaded/personalized content, but I don't know if you saw that or if maybe I'm mistaken and it simply uninstalls everything no matter what.

I only know for certain that I haven't lost content even when upgrading to new versions, but I'm also 99% certain that I've left the older version installed for quite some time before finally uninstalling it. Maybe the older version does have to be present for the content to be visible to the new version, and that's the gist of tomasc's advice.

If you made a backup prior to installing PD17, I'd use that to restore your content.

If not, then every time your C: drive is used, more and more of the deleted PD15 content gets overwritten and you have a lower likelihood of recovering the files. I'd try a 3rd party data recovery tool like Recuva or EaseUS ASAP and try to save all the files/folders it finds on a new drive.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
It was an upgrade package and I was given the option to uninstall PD15 or not, with the recommendation to do so. Normally I don't uninstall last version, but it's been a while since upgrading. I didn't know that uninstall last version would not transfer over the user created custom assets to the new version. Yes, you can say it's "pilot error", but why make things difficult for the pilot? Autopilot should work seamlessly for the user. I'm sure this will be my last upgrade of Power Director, so not concerned going forward. Thanks for your thoughts. Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)