Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Optimize GPU or not?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
So, when I installed PD17, I remember being asked if I wanted to optimize GPU hardware accelleration. I said no at that time. I've been busy learning how to drive the software, and I've produced several short videos with no issues. But is that something that I should consider now? Here are my specs......

Intel core i7 quad core 2.8GHZ processor
16GB DDR4 SD RAM
GeForce GTX1060 ( drivers not updated for 6 months) with 4GB RAM

Currently, PD17 doesn't access the GTX1060 at all. Thanks.
Cartof [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2017 06:12 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So, when I installed PD17, I remember being asked if I wanted to optimize GPU hardware accelleration. I said no at that time. I've been busy learning how to drive the software, and I've produced several short videos with no issues. But is that something that I should consider now?

One of the strongest advantages of CyberLink PowerDirector versions was and i hope it will continue to be the very fast hardware encoding.
Some people swear by the CPU only rendering but for complex and longer projects that takes WAY too long to render. Hardware encoding by NVENC in the recent nvidia cards is really really good and fast.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
GPU encoding can dramatically speed up producing time, but in the past I've had issues with the quality when using certain transitions or effects. Just an FYI that if any point in your GPU-produced clip seems blocky or "off", try producing with CPU only.

With that said, 6-month-old video drivers are from a lifetime ago in the GPU world and you definitely need to update them. The main question is whether to get v411.70 or the newer v416.xx. Please check the various forum threads and choose v411.70 UNLESS you have the non-subscription version of PD17 and you install the beta patch.

Once you have the new driver installed, then next time you open PD you should be prompted to optimize the GPU again. If not just click this button:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2018 13:42

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
As the CPU is doing just fine, I think I'll wait for the official patch, then update the drivers on my GTX1060, and then optimize. Thanks.smile

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2018 14:30