Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need to make Background Transparent in Logo containing Text
Johnny5 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2017 19:29 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Trying to convert existing Logo to have a transparent background. The Logo only consists of 3 colours. Black for text, Red for simplr sketch and remaining 80% is a White background.

My limited knowledge of PhotoDirector means that my selections overrun the bounderies or edges, hence requiring pain staking, time consuming and ultimately unsuccessful manual adjustments to follow the edges. Even then, they end up not being straight nor following the curves properly.

There must be an easier way? (I hope :-)

I can think of a solution, a super easy one, but don't know if / where there's a program that has a function like a FILL color but instead set to be clear?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You did not say what image format your logo is in. You can remove the white background using the Edit/Background Removal tools to make that transparent. Afterward export your work as a png file to keep the transparency.
Johnny5 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2017 19:29 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You did not say what image format your logo is in. You can remove the white background using the Edit/Background Removal tools to make that transparent. Afterward export your work as a png file to keep the transparency.

Hello again and thanks again for your help!

It's a JPG. I tried with the Background Removal tool, but the edges end up very jagged. Being a novice I thought I was doing it the wrong way or missing something. I guess not.

Again, thanks muchly.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried it with this attached Holly Logo: I don't see a tolerance adjustment with a magic wand like I do with Gimp or PaintNet. It does seem to take a while to do.
[Thumb - logo_holley_red_blackbars.jpg]
 Filename
logo_holley_red_blackbars.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Black letter white background logo from the web.
 Filesize
159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
AlanB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2017 21:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a simple way to make a colour transparent. i.e. make the colour white, transparent, to get rid of a white background?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2019 20:43

[Post New]
Hi,

I used layer editing with mask to add the logo JPG file and make the white part transparent.

Please check attached video.

Hope this help to solve the problem.
 Filename
ScreenRecord_20190103161100.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16472 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)
hijack is illegal.
Don't do it without guided.
[Post New]
Hello Johnny5 & all contributors,

There are some excellent suggestions in this thread in answer to the OP's question.

hijack's use of the Layers module in PhD is certainly the best option available in PhD10. In my view, this is one of the most useful recent improvements in PhD.

This screen capture (unfortunately recorded & produced on a less-than-adequate laptop) shows the basic steps making the background transparent, exporting as .PNG & applying the logo in PDR.

PIX PIX YouTube channel