Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Scrolling Text Copy and Paste Problem
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 03, 2014 01:41 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone else had this problem?

1. I go to the title room. and select a scrolling text title.

2. Drop it into the timeline, stretch it out to say 6 minutes

3. As a test, using the existing text in the title, click play and it plays fine.

4. I then open up the title designer, erase/delete the existing/original text and replace/paste in credits that I have typed in Word.

5. When I exit back to the timeline, instead of the credits starting to scroll immediately when I push play, the CTI stops at the very beginning of the scroll title and there is a 5-10 freeze then it starts again.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. The only solution appears to be when I open the title designer and type in all of the credits manually (no cut and paste). When I go back to the timeline and push play, everything works fine.

I've got eight ( pages of credits and dread the thought of having to type all of them in one line at a time.

Any ideas on a fix anyone?

Thanks,

Toney

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 12. 2018 18:37

TeeMan
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Toney

I just had alittle test, and couldn't reproduce.

Have you added formatting to your text, in Word?

Maybe it's worth converting your credits into plain text then pasting it?

You couls create a template for font etc and saveit for the plain text titles.

Regards

Phil
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Toney -

I'm with Phil. I followed your steps with scrolling text and couldn't replicate the issue.

I copied & pasted text from both Word & Notepad &, although changes to formatting were slugish, back in the timeline it played back correctly (I stopped previewing after 2 minutes - there are better things to do).

The text I used is attached. 8 pages in Word - 977 words - 240 lines.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Lipsum 8page.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
242 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone else had this problem?

1. I go to the title room. and select a scrolling text title.

2. Drop it into the timeline, stretch it out to say 6 minutes

3. As a test, using the existing text in the title, click play and it plays fine.

4. I then open up the title designer, erase/delete the existing/original text and replace/paste in credits that I have typed in Word.

5. When I exit back to the timeline, instead of the credits starting to scroll immediately when I push play, the CTI stops at the very beginning of the scroll title and there is a 5-10 freeze then it starts again.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. The only solution appears to be when I open the title designer and type in all of the credits manually (no cut and paste). When I go back to the timeline and push play, everything works fine.

I've got eight ( pages of credits and dread the thought of having to type all of them in one line at a time.

Any ideas on a fix anyone?

Thanks,

Toney

One suggestion I use, not exactly for your case, but maybe it helps.
Copy the text in Word and Paste into Notepad, now Copy to Notepad and Paste into Title Designer of PD16.That's because notepad leaves plain text removes anything other than basic text, I think
Another, add a title without effect, add the text and then the effect. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil, Tony and AVPlayVideo:

I want to thank you all for your assistance. I tried each of your recommended solutions to no avail.

There are still a number of issues relating to this exercise. I'll explain what I have ended up doing as a temporary fix. But at least for me, the problem exists where I import the files from Word or Notepad.

1. I did not use any formatting in Word when I produced the 8 pages of title info. The only format settings in Word were Arial 12 point. After I copy and paste the text into the Title Designer Scroll template, it would take about 2-3 minutes before it would complete the loading process. Keep in mind that I'm running a 64 Bit Dell I7 @ 2.7 Ghz with 24GB of Ram. It was choking like there was no tomorrow. Once it was in Title Designer, the up and down scroll bar to the right would immediately. In this particular exercise, the heading for each category (e.g. Director, Producer, etc.,) is in purple and the rest of the text under that category is white. Again, trying to click and/or get the title designer to move up or down would take anywhere from 20-30 seconds (on a good click).

2. I ended up creating a new project just for my credits and then imported it into the project. However, the same problem existed.

3. I would then repeat the importing of the project with the title/credits. 9 times out of 10, the credits would not start scrolling as they are supposed to. On importing it for the 10th time, it would work. I would then continue editing and somewhere along the line, the problem would reappear out of nowhere.

4. At the end of the day, on that one rare chance that it worked, I would either produce an MP4 reference copy of the movie or create a DVD before it messed up again.

5. By the way, I tried this on my laptop also thinking it would not do the same thing but that was not the case. I created a brand new file with a new title template, imported into PD on my laptop and it does the same thing as my desktop.

Thanks

Toney TeeMan
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Toney -

Even though everything functioned well here when I pasted that whopping great text file into a scrolling template, I certainly didn't try any formatting.

I just did - and it was so slow to respond it made the task next to impossible.

One thing that's worked for other users (scrolling text in PDR has been a PIA for users for as long as I can recall) is - rather than having one title rolling for 6 minutes - create a series of shorter ones & arrange them in the timeline. They'd typically need to overlap to make it look like a continuous scroll.

It's worked before & maybe it'll work for you.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I was going to suggest the same thing that ynotfish showed
Split text into blocks with less time.
Example: create 6 blocks of 1 minute, make the 1st
Copy keys, Ctrl + C - Paste in front 5x keys, Ctrl + V
Switch the blocks on two video track so you can synchronize the passage from one to another.
Use the same number of lines of text in each block so you do not have to adjust each block if you need to use a space bar to create blank lines.
This has already been done and works perfectly.
I think you will not need to, disabling one track of text lets you work on the other one softer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2018 08:37

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. All of my frustrations appear to be for naught. While in "Edit" mode the problem occurs continually, once I render/produce the entire 2 hour 48 minute movie the credits roll as they should without any hestitation. The best I can figure is that in edit mode there must be some kind of bug this bug does not affect the final rendered project. On the other hand, I have not tried burning the project ot a DVD yet (even though I'll have to use Smart Fit to cram it on an 8.5 GB DL disc, The total size of the project is close to 14 GB so I'm not sure what quality I'll end up with on DVD). My goal is to post this project to my Google Drive for viewing by family and friends. Thanks again all.

Toney TeeMan
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Just to chime in here on the final output - if your goal is to share the video on Google Drive to friends and family, you certainly don't need to worry about creating a DVD disc (or image). If you did want to burn any physical discs, you'd be much better off using Blu-Ray, even if you had to buy a BR burner. You'll get full quality and not have to sacrifice any of your hard work on the arbitrary altar of disk space

Also, downloading such a big video file may be hard and/or very time consuming for some people to do, and it seems like using Vimeo or YouTube and setting the privacy to Unlisted might be an easier way to go.

If the video is set to Public, then anyone can search for and possibly view it. That's the default setting, and it's what most people expect when they go to YouTube.

However, if you choose the Unlisted setting, that video is no longer searchable by the public and the only way to view it is to have the actual URL (link).

There's an additional Private setting, but that requires you to "whitelist" every YT account that will have permission to view the video. Even if someone has the link, if you haven't given permission to their account, they can't view it.

You can change the setting when you first upload the video, and at anytime after that from the video manager screen. So give this some thought, and see if using Unlisted and emailing/texting the link to your F&F might be a good way to go.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°