Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issue of PD 15,16 etc not utilizing the GPU for rendering fixed in PD17?
browniee112 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 28, 2017 03:57 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone know if this has been addressed as it's been going on for at least 2 years. Would love to upgrade if they finally fixed the code and not blaming intel/optimus/nvidia/radeon/weather/god for PD not utilizing the GPU.
LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Anyone know if this has been addressed as it's been going on for at least 2 years. Would love to upgrade if they finally fixed the code and not blaming intel/optimus/nvidia/radeon/weather/god for PD not utilizing the GPU.

Your problem (and the problem of thousands and thousands) will never be solved. Just don't use a laptop for editing with PowerDirector. It's the way laptops use graphic cards that makes it practically impossible to use the dedicated card with PD.
Try Hitfilm instead if you don't have a desktop and need to render large files.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's the way laptops use graphic cards that makes it practically impossible to use the dedicated card with PD.
I don't agree. Other video editors correctly recognize iGPu / dGPU on laptops. This is definitely an issue with PD. NOT nVidia control panel or driver. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't agree. Other video editors correctly recognize iGPu / dGPU on laptops. This is definitely an issue with PD. NOT nVidia control panel or driver.

GGRussell, I think we are saying the same thing. I wrote not to use a laptop FOR EDITING WITH POWERDIRECTOR. You are absolutely right that Adobe (and others) recognize dGPU's. That is why I suggested Browniie 112 to use Hitfilm. It is free, but with a serious learning curve. PD is simple to use and fast. For serious work Hitfilm is better.
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]

GGRussell, I think we are saying the same thing. I wrote not to use a laptop FOR EDITING WITH POWERDIRECTOR. You are absolutely right that Adobe (and others) recognize dGPU's. That is why I suggested Browniie 112 to use Hitfilm. It is free, but with a serious learning curve. PD is simple to use and fast. For serious work Hitfilm is better.

That is such a lousy excuse. PD never said anything like don't use it with laptops on its advertising material.

In fact, they literally have a picture of a laptop on their advertising material for PD. Most high end people editing videos are always on the move these days and PD says it is catering towards basically pros as well as beginners and not everyone owns a full on computer at home.

Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams who still haven't managed to fix a defect that's been raised over and over a long time ago.
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
That's one of the reasons why I don't upgrade to new versions anymore. It does not make sense, since all old and important bugs are taken over anyway, like eg the GPU support of Nvidia, just with "Create Disc". Too bad, always had the hope that much will be fixed in a new version, but since version 15, nothing happens. In my eyes only "Cosmetic".

Now i stay on PD16 and don't upgrade to 17.
LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]

That is such a lousy excuse. PD never said anything like don't use it with laptops on its advertising material.

In fact, they literally have a picture of a laptop on their advertising material for PD. Most high end people editing videos are always on the move these days and PD says it is catering towards basically pros as well as beginners and not everyone owns a full on computer at home.

Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams who still haven't managed to fix a defect that's been raised over and over a long time ago.

Finding excuses? Excuse me! We are only trying to help you, that's the spirit of this community. Had your problem a couple of years ago and I have come to the conclusion that PD and laptops are not best friends. So don't be frustrated because I am telling you how things are. PD is the best price/value/learning curve editing program you will find on the market. It is not made for the professional market. You don't buy a Rolls for 10.000 ! If you want professional quality pay for Edius or Adobe Premiere Pro or buy a Mac and use Apple Final Cut Pro X.
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Finding excuses? Excuse me! We are only trying to help you, that's the spirit of this community. Had your problem a couple of years ago and I have come to the conclusion that PD and laptops are not best friends. So don't be frustrated because I am telling you how things are. PD is the best price/value/learning curve editing program you will find on the market. It is not made for the professional market. You don't buy a Rolls for 10.000 ! If you want professional quality pay for Edius or Adobe Premiere Pro or buy a Mac and use Apple Final Cut Pro X.

Relax. Regardless how much it cost, if PD is a "desktop only" video editor, it should be clearly stated on product description page.

I don't want professional quality, I just want something that actually works as it is advertised on my machine.

Not sure why you getting extra worked up.
LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's why: "Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams..."
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's why: "Such a shame that you guys are finding excuses for CL's lousy dev teams..."

Look mate, I do not want this thread to be a personal attack arena. What I said has been in the minds of other people as well. If you do not have anything useful to contribute, please keep your "spirit of the community" and feel free to stay off my thread.

Thanks.
LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]

Look mate, I do not want this thread to be a personal attack arena. What I said has been in the minds of other people as well. If you do not have anything useful to contribute, please keep your "spirit of the community" and feel free to stay off my thread.

Thanks.

If you dont want this thread to be personal, then don't start to be. I hope other members will think twice before helping you again. You're a real asset to this forum. Congratulations.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Something that seems to have been overlooked here is that while producing with any GPU - desktop, tablet or laptop - is usually faster than using the CPU on its own, oftentimes the resulting quality is noticeably lower.

There were projects I had a few years back that used some flashy transitions, and I wasn't ever happy with the result until I turned off HW acceleration and produced with the CPU. Yes, I was very frustrated that it took longer to produce, but ultimately the video looked exactly how I wanted it to, and so I had to accept that speed vs. quality trade-off.

My point here is that nothing about the presence, absence or capabilities of a built-in or added GPU will prevent PD from working on any machine (as long as the system meets the minimum specs), so it's not accurate to look at PD as only working on desktops.

I realize that's not the same thing as having PD utilize every GPU for maximum speed, and I think that's a perfectly legitimate and ongoing gripe about the product.

In the big picture, though, there are always tradeoffs between desktops and laptops, and PD's (in)ability to take full advantage of some GPU hardware falls on that spectrum. It's not either/or.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Something that seems to have been overlooked here is that while producing with any GPU - desktop, tablet or laptop - is usually faster than using the CPU on its own, oftentimes the resulting quality is noticeably lower.

-Is this true? As in using CPU only somehow produces better quality? I'm intrigued and would love to learn more about this, I haven't heard about this before.

I realize that's not the same thing as having PD utilize every GPU for maximum speed, and I think that's a perfectly legitimate and ongoing gripe about the product.

-Exactly, thank you for acknowledging the issue that I raised. I wasn't attacking anyone personally. I love PD and it annoys to think that defects raised by us/users are not being addressed by their development team. Doesn't feel very valued as a customer.

In the big picture, though, there are always tradeoffs between desktops and laptops, and PD's (in)ability to take full advantage of some GPU hardware falls on that spectrum. It's not either/or.

If you dont want this thread to be personal, then don't start to be. I hope other members will think twice before helping you again. You're a real asset to this forum. Congratulations.

-Once again, relax my friend. Thank you for your validation on me being an asset and I very much value your congratulations.. With my 20 odd messages history, I have tried my best to help any fellow PD users who may have the same issue as me and put a solid 'constructive' effort by posting my findings and work arounds on how to get over the GPU issue here - Instructions to get Nvidia cards to be used with Powerdirector 16 - Semi Solved- https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64906.page#295787
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
... Something that seems to have been overlooked here is that while producing with any GPU - desktop, tablet or laptop - is usually faster than using the CPU on its own, oftentimes the resulting quality is noticeably lower.
-Is this true? As in using CPU only somehow produces better quality? I'm intrigued and would love to learn more about this, I haven't heard about this before.

There were tons of posts a few years back on this subject, but here's a recent thread by someone who ended up getting better results by turning off HW.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]

...I wrote not to use a laptop FOR EDITING WITH POWERDIRECTOR. You are absolutely right that Adobe (and others) recognize dGPU's.

That's probably because Adobe does not use the GPU for encoding.

Relax. Regardless how much it cost, if PD is a "desktop only" video editor, it should be clearly stated on product description page.

I don't want professional quality, I just want something that actually works as it is advertised on my machine.

Can you point exactly where it said that it will work with your "machine"? AFAIK on the laptop it will use the intel GPU, and that's exactly what is stated that will do. Nowhere it is said that in case of a multi GPU "machine" it can pick as desired any of those GPU.

If I add an AMD and an nVidia card on my desktop, the one use will be the one that I have the monitor connected to. That's exactly what happens in laptops case, sice the diplay is always hardwired (connected) to intel. nVidia is used just as pass-trough for 3D games (and that only).

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2018 17:59

browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's probably because Adobe does not use the GPU for encoding.

Can you point exactly where it said that it will work with your "machine"? AFAIK on the laptop it will use the intel GPU, and that's exactly what is stated that will do. Nowhere it is said that in case of a multi GPU "machine" it can pick as desired any of those GPU.

If I add an AMD and an nVidia card on my desktop, the one use will be the one that I have the monitor connected to. That's exactly what happens in laptops case, sice the diplay is always hardwired (connected) to intel. nVidia is used just as pass-trough for 3D games (and that only).

It doesn't have to specifically state "hey guys, CL PD will work with your

1. Dell Inspiron

2. HP Pavilion

3. Lenovo insert model numbers

4. Microsoft Surface Pro

etc, etc. It says it is a video editing software and works on windows based computers.

You want specifics? Sure, very easy. Takes a 10 second Google.

"PowerDirector has held the title of world's fastest video editing software for several versions. Powered by the 64-bit TrueVelocity engine and with the support of OpenCL, multi-GPGPU acceleration and latest hardware acceleration technology, PowerDirector provides unparalleled performance in HD and 4K video rendering."

"Multi-GPGPU Acceleration with OpenCL Support"

"nVidia & Intel H.265 (HEVC) Hardware Encoding"

"nVidia, Intel & AMD H.265 (HEVC) Hardware Decoding"

Obviously they cannot state exactly which machines it WIL work, but they could state which machines it WON'T work. But nope, doesn't say anywhere that "by the way, CL PD doesn't utlize your GPU in your laptop..It only works on desktops."
Alexba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2018 08:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I don't agree. Other video editors correctly recognize iGPu / dGPU on laptops. This is definitely an issue with PD. NOT nVidia control panel or driver.

+1 here. It not nothing to do with laptops. Some products can use the dedicated GPU on laptops, some cannot. PD16-17-18 cannot use it...

It is just disappointing that Cyberlink is not transparent about the capabilities of the product. I spent $$$$ on a new laptop hoping that I can use the GTX 1060, just to see that I wasted my money.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2019 08:09

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I was using PD17 / 365 I don't remember the date, this year after almost simultaneous update of PD17 and Windows 7/64 my editing got much faster.
Now on the timeline I can use up to fullhd in the no-fuss preview and smooth HD scrolls, no more activating shadow files to edit fullHD videos.
Consider that I use AMD 8 color CPU, signature PC.
AMD RX 570 video card has HA works and accelerates in general, but saves in a different pattern, which on Youtube does not roll as it should.
I tested PD18 / 365 has no audio for videos with Dolby Digital audio, Cyberlink recommends migrating to Windows 10.
I saw no changes in speed, for editing and rendering, some audio errors, new geometric transitions seem not to work as expected. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365