Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
This movie is copyright-protected
Arnt Olav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2018 14:18 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello. I've searched the web around for this problem, but i'm still confused.

I'm trying to record some private, old Hi8 tapes to my computer using Diamond VC500 by using powerdirector 12.

After about 10 minutes I get a message saying "This movie is copyright-protected. Recording prohibited."

I'm wondering, where does this come from?

-Did the cam-recorder I used back then have this protection on? So it made some noise, color on any signs that future recording will recognize this is protected?

-Is this something that the recorder i'm using have enabled? (I'm using a Canon UC9)

-Is this a error in the software? That some noise or any random sign from the recording makes powerdirector believe this is copy protected?

I'm really confused how copy-protection works.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
That copyright message, comes from usually noise on the tape.

You may have be sure there is clean video when you start recording. That may mean much manual start and stop the tape and recording.

If you have access to the free Microsoft free video recorder, you may be able to avoid the copyright message.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/essential-video-recorder/9nblggh5260t#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Arnt Olav [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That copyright message, comes from usually noise on the tape.

You may have be sure there is clean video when you start recording. That may mean much manual start and stop the tape and recording.

If you have access to the free Microsoft free video recorder, you may be able to avoid the copyright message.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/essential-video-recorder/9nblggh5260t#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Thanks for the response! So the problem lies in the software then I assume?
If so, strange to me they still using this dated protection, so the users get these problems.

What do you mean by making sure there is clean video when I start recording? I cant edit this before I record it I mean?

Ill check out microsofts video recorder. I hope it supports my vc500 dongle 😊
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I mean, be sure have non noisy video before you click the Record button.
When there noise in the video, such as white noise, the software thinks that is copyright protection. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Arnt Olav [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I mean, be sure have non noisy video before you click the Record button.
When there noise in the video, such as white noise, the software thinks that is copyright protection.

Ah. I understand. Thanks. But that is impossible to do, because I have to record it first to the computer to remove the noise, right?

So if I understand correct, I can't record my old hi8 family recording to the computer because it has some noise that powerdirector equal copyright? What a horrible system undecided
Carl312
[Post New]

Ah. I understand. Thanks. But that is impossible to do, because I have to record it first to the computer to remove the noise, right?

So if I understand correct, I can't record my old hi8 family recording to the computer because it has some noise that powerdirector equal copyright? What a horrible system undecided
use a third party software, there are many free applications that are imune to the noise on the tape and does not throw up a copyright error message.

Search for "video capture software" without quotes, also try "microsoft video capture software" without quotes.

Windows 10 is hiding a good free capture software.
<a>https://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-hiding-a-great-video-capture-tool-1719196149</a>

Powerdirector must conform to the copyright laws, which is why it triggers on anything it thinks is copyright code.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2018 14:58

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Carl is spot on with his advice.

<soapbox>This is one of the many ways in which we all suffer because of piracy a.k.a. theft.</soapbox>

Macrovision (just one of several attempts at copy protection) dating back to VHS days injected additional noise onto normal tapes which VCR's detected, understood and would not copy whereas TV's did not 'see' the extra signal and just displayed the video. PDR stays 'squeaky clean' by interpreting almost any 'noisy' signal as copy protection.
Arnt Olav [Avatar]
[Post New]
use a third party software, there are many free applications that are imune to the noise on the tape and does not throw up a copyright error message.

Search for "video capture software" without quotes, also try "microsoft video capture software" without quotes.

Windows 10 is hiding a good free capture software.
<a>https://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-hiding-a-great-video-capture-tool-1719196149</a>

Powerdirector must conform to the copyright laws, which is why it triggers on anything it thinks is copyright code.

Thanks again for the help. I understand this now.

I've been searching for days around the web for a good third party software that works with my diamond vc500, but I haven't got any of them to work properly. Either the sound or the movie wont capture. I'm using Windows 7, so I can't test the free capture software for windows 10 that you linked.

I guess I have to live with short clips that I edit and combine later. I wish I knew powerdirector had this copyright protection before I purchased the package, so I could get another system instead. I see now there are many people with the same problem.

Thanks.