Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
trim problem
John7171 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2009 06:24 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Video help on YouTube shows selecting a split off segment in timeline, and then opening the trim tool to trim that section only.
When I split off a segment of the main video on the timeline, select it and then open the trim tool, I am facing the entire project, not just the highlighted split off piece.

I'm new to the program, so I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Jack
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Video help on YouTube shows selecting a split off segment in timeline, and then opening the trim tool to trim that section only.
When I split off a segment of the main video on the timeline, select it and then open the trim tool, I am facing the entire project, not just the highlighted split off piece.

I'm new to the program, so I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Jack

I dont think you are seeing the entire project just a greatly enlarged part of the clip that you highlighted before opening the Trim tool

Have a look at the attached, it may help. EDIT: Where I have said "see the whole project" I should have said "see the whole clip"

Robert
[Thumb - Trim.jpg]
 Filename
Trim.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2018 08:08

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

I dont think you are seeing the entire project just a greatly enlarged part of the clip that you highlighted before opening the Trim tool

Have a look at the attached, it may help. EDIT: Where I have said "see the whole project" I should have said "see the whole clip"

Robert

Great explanation Robert. Thanks for the screeen shot. laughing Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Great explanation Robert. Thanks for the screeen shot. laughing

Hi Maliek

A compliment indeed from you Sir, thank you. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Nice screenshot and text entries.
I will work on it again when I get home tonight.
I'm pretty sure it's showing the whole project, because the in and out markers on my trim view show only a tiny fraction of the clip.
Maybe I can load some screen shots, once I figure out how to do it in this forum, or create a link to a file sharing site.
Maliek's video was the one I was referring to as my lesson!

Jack
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Thanks, Robert. Nice screenshot and text entries.
I will work on it again when I get home tonight.
I'm pretty sure it's showing the whole project, because the in and out markers on my trim view show only a tiny fraction of the clip.
Maybe I can load some screen shots, once I figure out how to do it in this forum, or create a link to a file sharing site.
Maliek's video was the one I was referring to as my lesson!

Jack

Just to clarify, Jack

Are you sure the whole project is not highlighted when you click on the trim button?

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just to clarify, Jack

Are you sure the whole project is not highlighted when you click on the trim button?

Robert

I'm sure I a missing something, but it seems to me that the trim function is covering the whole project. The selected split fragment should fill the whole trim screen, I am thinking.

I will try to post images of my attempts and put a link here.
Hope this link works. If not I will have to get a lesson in posting images for this site.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rcs1n5ulfeheru/AADDZt4jt3zMDeU8BC60INYja?dl=0

Jack

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 14. 2019 06:27

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Just to clarify, Jack

Robert

I'm sure I a missing something, but it seems to me that the trim function is covering the whole project. The selected split fragment should fill the whole trim screen, I am thinking.

I will try to post images of my attempts and put a link here.trim screenshots
Hope this link works. If not I will have to get a lesson in posting images for this site.

Jack

Jack

When you have the trim tool open, try selecting "Multi Trim" at the top of the window. See if that helps

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2018 14:20

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Look at the name of the clip and the name of it after the split on the timeline. It appear that your whole project may be one long video clip. What is shown in the screenshot is normal behavior when you use the trim function.
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I will try to post images of my attempts and put a link here.trim screenshots

Jack

Jack

When you have the trim tool open, try selecting "Multi Trim" at the top of the window. See if that helps

Robert

Will try that and report back.
Thank you.
Jack
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Look at the name of the clip and the name of it after the split on the timeline. It appear that your whole project may be one long video clip. What is shown in the screenshot is normal behavior when you use the trim function.

l will do that.

I thought that I could split my video project and work on trimming each split section separately, but I guess I can't do that.
I appreciate your answer and will go "back to the drawing board"

Jack
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
[quotePostId = 315601]

Eu farei isso.

Eu pensei que eu poderia dividir meu projeto de vídeo e trabalhar em cortar cada seção dividida separadamente, mas eu acho que não posso fazer isso.
Agradeço sua resposta e voltarei "para a prancheta"

Jack [/ quotePostId]

You can and should use the Split timeline, then right click and Remove part you do not want, or select and Del.
I only use it this way.
It has an application (PDSpeed) that adds keyboard shortcuts, where S (Split) XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote [quotePostId = 315601]

Eu farei isso.

Eu pensei que eu poderia dividir meu projeto de vídeo e trabalhar em cortar cada seção dividida separadamente, mas eu acho que não posso fazer isso.

Jack [/ quotePostId]

You can and should use the Split timeline, then right click and Remove part you do not want, or select and Del.
I only use it this way.
It has an application (PDSpeed) that adds keyboard shortcuts, where S (Split)

Sounds like a plan!
I will try it tonight.
Many thanks.
Jack
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote [quotePostId = 315601]

Eu farei isso.

Jack [/ quotePostId]

I only use it this way.
It has an application (PDSpeed) that adds keyboard shortcuts, where S (Split)

If you use split and remove what is the point of the trim tool? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you use split and remove what is the point of the trim tool?

Many thanks to all who replied. I just ran through the filmon the timeline and split it into parts, somewhat arbitrarily, then edited the split off parts and finally produced what I had left. Worked OK. But I am still shaky about the use of the trim tool, which I found did not help me.

I know there is a lot of material on this use on YouTube, so when I have a bit more time, I will go back to my learning process.

Appreciate the suggestions and advice.

Jack