Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
basic editing
John7171 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2009 06:24 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I need some instruction in very basic editing, but all of the online lessons (including one I paid for) have been stressing more advanced information. I am not interested in 360 degree stuff. Titles, fade, effects can all be dealt with later for my initial project.

I really just want to understand how to do some basic editing ... open the unedited video, cut out stuff I don't want and combine the desired sections into a video.

I don't understand why there have to be several tracks, if you are not using titles, etc in the initial edit. Are clips put on different tracks combined by the program?

In the past, I had a simpler program which broke the video to be edited down into "scenes". These could then be individually pulled down onto the time line, and each scene could be edited down to just what was desired, left on the timeline in edited form, and then all of the edited scenes could be combined into a final video.

I suspect something similar could be done with PowerDirector 16, but seeing the examples of various parts of the video put on different timelines is a bit confusing.

Any links to a very basic editing instruction site?

It's making me feel very stupid.
Many thanks for any advice.

Jack
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISisIcMZ-9F9UDRBPRWdYg

and:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6a0_l0sZGJNO0FXqaCB4KA

Short tutorials from basic to enhanced user.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you, Hatti.
I have seen some of them and will pursue your suggestions.

What I am missing is an explanation of how the multiple tracks come together. I guess I'll just have to work with it .
It looks funny to me to see the main video on the first timeline and then another video on the second time line, in the middle of the first one. How do those get together?

I'll keep working on it.
Jack
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you, Hatti.
I have seen some of them and will pursue your suggestions.

What I am missing is an explanation of how the multiple tracks come together. I guess I'll just have to work with it .
It looks funny to me to see the main video on the first timeline and then another video on the second time line, in the middle of the first one. How do those get together?

I'll keep working on it.
Jack

Hi Jack

At the top of this forum there is a sticky called PD News. Open the issues from number 2 and read the Newbie Room articles. Hopefully you will find them all useful. They are designed for people just like you.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
John7171 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Jack

At the top of this forum there is a sticky called PD News. Open the issues from number 2 and read the Newbie Room articles. Hopefully you will find them all useful. They are designed for people just like you.

Robert

I shall do so. Many thanks.
Jack
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I really just want to understand how to do some basic editing ... open the unedited video, cut out stuff I don't want and combine the desired sections into a video.

I don't understand why there have to be several tracks, if you are not using titles, etc in the initial edit. Are clips put on different tracks combined by the program?

Jack

1. Watch this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOVZ1nMYkc&t=5s

2. When you go to the Produce tab and select your settings the programs plaes everything on the timeline tracks into one continuous video

3. People use several tracks for many reasons - to overlay a picture while the audio continues to play, to add .png images and objects to the video, to add picture in picture, etc. etc. etc.

I hope this helps. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.