Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you put video on a wall?
Justin1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2006 22:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I've got PD8. I'm trying to create the effect where you put the video on the wall in the background at a slight angle.

So the effect I want is people sitting in the living room watching tv, and then on the tv, the video playing. It would need to be at a slight angle though...

Thanks
Justin
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Justin,

Place image in a PIP track > click Modify to open PIP Designer to adjust size, placement, and rotation of image.
Also avail yourself of all the many tutorials here...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

...and in the Director' Zone and on Youtube, that demonstrate how to preform this and other tasks in PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2009 22:43

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Justin1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very much for that.

Does that include being able to 'tilt' the figure so that it's an angle ie I don't mean turn it...

I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate what I mean.
[Thumb - tvangle.JPG]
 Filename
tvangle.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
151 time(s)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Justin,

The image in the TV screen (in your attached file), is not tilted. It is a full image that is on the bottom, with another image layered on top. However, the top room image was modified (presumably in Photo Shop or Paint.net), to give the TV screen area a transparent background before it was layered on top of the bottom image. Then the bottom image would show thru the screen to give the illusion that the bottom image is what was originally displayed on the TV.

This is a fairly straight forward task to accomplish with still images, but requires the creation of multiple masks to do it with moving video. But one way it can be accomplished in PD is by using PD’s Chroma Keying. It all requires a bit of pre-production though.
Here’s one method. Just a quick run thru without any of the fine tuning details, but it will get you started.

Phase One
- Place your main image in the master track and make a snapshot of it
- Import the snapshot to MS Paint and carefully fill the TV screen with a color that is most opposite of all the other colors in the image (for this example let’s say fluorescent green) > save as SS-1
- Now place this painted SS-1 image back into MS Paint and fill in the rest of the image with Black > save this one as SS-2

Phase Two
- Open PD and put your main clip in the Master track, and SS-2 the below it in a PIP
- Use Chroma Keying to remove the Black color, leaving your main video with the Fluorescent Green covering over the TV screen > Produce and save to an Avi file, and name it Modified 1 Avi. You now have a video of your scene, but the TV screen, is green.

Phase Three
- Place a Black color board in the master track an set to duration of your total project (as a filler)
- Place SS-1 in PD’s master track (as a reference), after the Black Color Board
- Place the clip you intend as what will play in the TV, in a PIP #1 under the SS-1 image
- Using PIP designer, position, size and align this clip so it sits on top of the painted SS-1 reference, with the Fluorescent green covering the TV screen. Use the fade tool to fine tune placement.
- After positioning, slide this sized clip down the PIP to the starting point of the track (remember to return Fade to zero)
- Place Modified-1-Avi in PIP #2, under PIP #1 > size to fill screen
- Open Chroma tool and remove Fluorescent Green from TV screen, leaving what’s in PIP #1 showing through.
- Lock PIP # 1&2 in place
- Delete and SS-1 image in the Master track, delete or keep the Black Color Board as desired

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 19. 2009 00:28

Justin1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very much for your time in writing that response.

I'll be giving it a go later today.

Once again, it's very much appreciated.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
this might help...
[Thumb - Wall Mask.png]
 Filename
Wall Mask.png
[Disk]
 Description
perspective tv
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
164 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
[Post New]
Tony,

Excellent base template.
It could easily be modified/adjusted in a PIP to fit the TV screen in Justin's video clip. And also as a transparency for a still image, if that is what he uses.

Justin,

If you follow this link to SMWOV, you'll find videocenricity's tutorial on masks/mattes...

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/607/howto-matte/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 19. 2009 01:42

abdelhafid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2009 05:05 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everybody
I want to do the same thing.but the TV screen I want to work on it has the same shape as the The image in the attached file of Mr Tomy. I couldn't fit the pip video inside the TV .because the PIP video can only be square or rectangular.Can some one tell me how to fix it.Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Abdelhafid -

I don't think you can reshape the clip from a rectangle to a trapezium. All you can do is resize it so that the edges extend beyond the mask. That means you won't see some parts of the clip in the final production.

If that's a problem, you could just change the mask to a less exaggerated trpezoid shape.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2009 12:43

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
abdelhafid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2009 05:05 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you