Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slog2 and the benefits of Colordirector 6?
Søren Lukas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2018 16:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys,

I am actually using Colordirector 5, Powerdirector 15 and so on (I bought the Powerdirector 15 Ultimate Suite about a year ago). I am actually about to get a new camera for videography - the Sony a7r ii (former one was the Sony rx 10ii) - and I really would love to improve the quality of my results as much as possible. With slog2 there is a dynamic range of 15. (Working with this picture profile means, that you have to colorcorrect/grade your footage always because it would look pretty pale without editing. But it conatins lots of colorinformation which can be used in the editingprocess.)

Are there any significant benefits of the Colordirector 6 compared to the former version when talking about the results with LUT-files and overall image quality in 4k? Beacause I want to decrease the imagequality during the gradingprocess as less as possible...

Thanks for your time!

(Answers in german or english please)
[Post New]
Hello Søren Lukas,

Welcome to the ColorDirector forum laughing

I think, for your purposes, you wouldn't find any significant benefit in using CDR6 over CDR5. Some CDR6 features aren't found in CDR5, but not specifically related to your needs.

Both CDR5 & 6 happily work with 4K Slog-2 files from Sony A7Rii, and the RX10ii. Production quality is equivalent.

You'll find these free LUTs useful.

PIX

Google Translate (German):

Willkommen im ColorDirector Forum.

Ich denke, für Ihre Zwecke würden Sie keinen signifikanten Vorteil bei der Verwendung von CDR6 gegenüber CDR5 finden. Einige CDR6-Funktionen wurden in CDR5 nicht gefunden, sind jedoch nicht speziell auf Ihre Bedürfnisse zugeschnitten.

Beide CDR5 & 6 arbeiten glücklich mit 4K Slog-2-Dateien von Sony A7Rii und der RX10ii. Die Produktionsqualität ist gleichwertig.

Sie werden diese kostenlosen LUTs nützlich finden. PIX YouTube channel
Søren Lukas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2018 16:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much - this is really an answer I have been looking for!

There actually is an issue with using the export function in CD5 to PD15. The files have been exported perfectly and there also was the little "i" icon shown on those clips. But after producing the video in PD15 the colorgrading was not visible and even the preview window seemed to be uneffected by the settings I made in CD5. I already asked the support but I was wondering if there is anybody who could help me... Thanks a lot!
[Post New]
Yes, that's definitely an issue. The same thing occurs with PDR16 > CDR6 round trip editing.

When a LUT is applied in round tripping, it does not display as adjusted when it is returned to PDR. I've never seen the same thing happen when making "normal" adjustments (no LUT).

As a workaround, I produce the video in CDR then import it into PDR in its adjusted state.

PIX PIX YouTube channel