Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lack of AVI support
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
My only lament for the most recent Colordirector is the lack of ssupport for uncompressed AVI codecs. They can be imported and rendered, but look horrific afterwards, lots of macroblocks and artifacts.
It would be nice if I could capture AVI uncompressed and with filters/masks enabled. Anybody tried uncompressed AVI (Huffyuv/Magic/Lagareth/UT/etc) and got good results going to MPEG2? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Hello Barry,

Unfortunately I have no direct experience working with uncompressed AVI files, though I've certainly seen banding & blockiness in rendered files from CDR when applying LUTs to partiicular video types.

I've tested a number of AVIs, without replicating the problem you describe. Most likely, they don't match the properties of the AVIs you're referring to. Would you be able to provide a sample file that illustrates the issues you describe?

How are your uncompressed AVIs generated? Software? Process?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry I have not uploaded an AVI yet, even short ones are very large, however, I have found a solution, I think, and within Cyberlink.
It seems my macro-blocking and interlace artifacts can by bypassed!
The real issue is going to DVD, the final destination.
It seems I can convert my uncompressed Huffyuv files, AFTER all my tweaks to light/color/ etc, then I can bring my file into MediaEsspresso and BAM, make a DVD compliant MPEG2 with no artifacts. I cannot do that in PowerDirector or Colordirector, it's always has artifacts. I can take my converted file and use THAT. It was right under my snout the whole time. I just tested a dozen or so converters, they all failed.
The workflow is do my fixes as lossless AVI and only go to lossy MPEG2 when it's time to make a file or DVD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2018 05:58

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I forgot to mention the source. Various lossless AVI codecs captured with free Virtualdub from a VCR>TBC via VC500 capture dongle. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Hello Barry,

Thank you for the update.

I'm glad you've found a workflow that gets you the quality results you're after.

PIX PIX YouTube channel